cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

6500 Sup2 vs Sup720

ciscors
Level 1
Level 1

Guys, apart from the bandwidth advantages, what are the other benefits one gains from upgrading from Sup2 to Sup720? I know there is CPU rate limiting. Does anybody have a link so that I can read about this.

If you list out other features too, I'll research them

Thank you

3 Replies 3

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi

Well a few things spring to mind

1) In built connection to switch fabric on sup720 so you don't need a separate SFM which means you save a slot.

2) Ability to run 67xx modules which have more bandwidth to the switch fabric.

3) Sup720's have more future proofing.

4) More features are done on the PFC so better overall performance.

There are probably a lot more, the easiet thing to do is under Product & Services have a look at the data sheets for both the Sup2 and the Sup720.

HTH

Jon

Pavel Bykov
Level 5
Level 5

The document you should read is: http://cisco.com/en/US/partner/products/hw/switches/ps708/products_white_paper0900aecd803e508c.shtml

Difference between Sup720 and Sup32 are Fabric, MSFC revision, and Switch Processor placement (in SUP720, SP and RP are on MSFC).

But otherwise, hardware forwarding is almost the same - this should give you an idea how much more powerful SUP720 is against SUP2 - it just forwards and does much much more in Hardware.

To list a few:

- Multicast

- RPF check

- VACL and VACL span port

- GRE hardware...

Just check out the table "Supervisor Engine 32 with PFC3B Layer 3 Features" in mentioned document.

PFC3B is same between Sup32 and Sup720, so hardware forwarding features are similar.

Hope this helps.

Please rate if it does

I've heard that there is this new feature in the sup720 that captures all traffic going through (not span) and helps with diagnostics. Can anybody shed some light?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card