cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Problem starting Server setup in CiscoWorks assistant

mburrell5
Level 1
Level 1

When attempting to start the server setup in Cisco Works Assistant workflow the graphic with a green bar comes up in the screen centre with the message "Collecting existing server information. Please wait." This remains for at least an hour - I have given up by then. How long does it typically take to get beyond this point? Any ideas on where I should be looking to sort this issue out. Am using LMS 3.0

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

It looks to me like DCRServer was working, then stopped after 11/22. However, there is no indication was to why. Restart dmgtd, and see if DCRServer comes up. If it does, see if CWA works.

View solution in original post

16 Replies 16

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

This should take around a minute or so. Problems here could be due to errors with the System Identity User configuration, hostname changes, or special characters (e.g. '&') used in the System Identity User password.

If you've changed your hostname after installing LMS, run the NMSROOT/bin/hostnamechange.pl script. Else, regenerate your System Identity User, and make sure the password only contains letters and digits.

Can you tell me how to regenerate the System Identity user?

Go to Common Services > Server > Security > System Identity Setup, and re-enter the name and password.

Ok as per your earlier suggestion - hostname has not changed, System identity password may have had a disallowed character, but even after changing it as per above post the Cisco Works Assistant won't get past the "collecting existing server information.Please wait" stage. FYI I am using a standalone server setup. The reason I looked at this is that when looking at reported discrepancies I cannot apply any fixes to the network devices. The error when a fix is attempted is "ERROR - Authentication of the user administrator failed. Recommended action: Enter proper username and password." Investigating this lead me to the Cisco Works assistant issue, however the 2 may not be related? Would appreciate comments

What local module are you using? Is "administrator" a valid CiscoWorks user? Please post your cli.log. Verify that you can ping 127.0.0.1 from the server.

If you go to Campus > Admin > Other Admin Settings => RME Server Credentials you will have the option to enter a valid User and PW of the RME Server that will be used to deploy the recommended fixes for Discrepancies. Here you can do the configuration without launching 'Server Setup' but it will not fix your issue with CiscoWorks Assistant.

My apologies, admin rather than administrator was the correct user. This now overcomes the error regards the username and password when attempting to apply a fix, however the error I get now is "FATAL - DCR Error occurred.

Recommended Action:Check whether DCRServer is up and running.

ERROR - Invalid device(s) specified.

Recommended Action:

1.Check whether the correct device-name is used.

2.Ensure that the devices are not in suspended/conflicting states.

3.Ensure that the user is authorized to use the devices.

SUMMARY

========

Failed: import: Could not obtain any device(s) to work on.

Recommended action:

Specify valid devices managed by RME for the command to be run." With regard to the suggested action the switch i am trying to do the fix on is reachable and has the correct hostname

I can ping 127.0.0.1 from the server. cli.log is attached

A few things to check all via the CLI:

pdshow does ANIserver show up as running ? ANIdb ?

Can you start up DCRCLI ?

Attached is the current pdshow.

When I try to run DCRCLI -u it returns: *DCRCLIFILE Environment variable not set Enter your password

I have tried a couple of known passwords to no avail

Looks like everything is related to the DCRServer not coming online. This is typically caused by an SSL certificate issue. Please post your dcr.log and NMSROOT/MDC/tomcat/logs/stdout.log.

dcr.log is empty. I have attached dcrserver.log stdout.log is too big!(72M) If you want to see it do you have an FTP site I could send it to?

Please compress the stdout.log and post it then. It should compress down quite well with either Zip or Bzip2.

Is the devicve you want to have the discrepancies fixed properly managed in RME?

Go to RME > HOME and verify that the device in question is listed under 'Collection Status' 'Config Archive' click on the number of devices which are successfull. If it is not there, verify if it is listed either under 'Failed' or 'Partial Successful'. If you still cannot find it if it is listed as a normal device.

Yes, the device is in the RME successfully managed under inventory and config archive.

Attached is the zipped stdout.log

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: