cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VTP Transparent

alsayed
Level 1
Level 1

do i need to add it as a client mode or transparent than to to server mode,but i think as transparent the switch does save the vlans

10xs

10 Replies 10

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Ali

Transparent mode will save the vlan database between reboots. The vlan database on a transparent switch is local to that switch only ie. a switch in transparent mode will not update it's vlan database when it receives VTP advertisements from another switch nor it will forward out advertisements of it's own database. On a transparent mode switch you can add, modify and delete vlans.

Server mode allows you to add, modify and delete vlans and will propogate these changes out to VTP clients and other VTP servers with a lower configuration revision number.

Clients cannot create or delete vlans. They can only update their database based on VTP advertisements and they do not store a copy of the vlan database between reboots.

HTH

Jon

hello jon!

i have 6509e.vtp mode server vtp domain TEST,NOW i will add another 6509e to the domain TEST.best practice to add this switch,without affecting the 1st 6509e vlan database?

10xs

Hi Ali

Assuming you want the new switch to get it's vlans from the existing VTP server.

On the switch you are adding

1) Make it vtp transparent first

ie "vtp mode transparent"

This will set it configuration revision number to 0.

2) Make it a vtp client

ie "vtp mode client"

3) Make sure the VTP domain name matches and that if you have a VTP password set you also set this on your new switch.

4) Connect the switch together via a trunk

The new switch should then synchronise it vlan database from the VTP server.

HTH

Jon

That's fine, but before you add the new switch, make sure its VTP configuration is less than that of the domain you are adding it to. The whole domain will update to the switch that has the higher configuration revision.

THe easiest way to ensure this is to take the new switch before you add it, and put it in VTP transparent, then back into server or client. That will knock the config revision number down to zero. You can chack it with show vtp status

Kevin Dorrell

Luxembourg

Jon,

Sorry, but can I clarify one point please. The client does keep a local current copy of the database in the vlan.dat file, and will use it on reboot. If you isolate a client and reboot it, it still has the VLANs.

Kevin Dorrell

Luxembourg

Hi Kevin

Thanks for picking that up, i don't like to mislead people on this forum.

Jon

10xs experts

hello

i will make the following on the new Switch6509e:

connect the switch via trunk to 1st 6509

vtp domain TEST

VTP Client

now the vlan will sync from the vtp server when it fully sync from the vtp serVER .I switch it to vtp server...

does it work now?

10xs

Ali

Make sure you set it to VTP transparent before you connect it to your existing switch with a trunk.

Providing you do this then yes you can follow the procedure you outline and it will be fine.

Jon

10xs jon

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card