Certification path advice

Unanswered Question
Dec 6th, 2007

I was hoping to get peoples perspective on choosing higher-level certification paths. What would be more beneficial from a career standpoint? Getting multiple CCxP level certifications and then going for a CCIE, or going straight for a CCIE after your first CCxP certification?

I am in the middle of getting my CCNP right now, and I'm trying to decide what's going to give me the most result for my effort. Once I'm done with my CCNP, do I broaen my horizons and go in to other areas by getting other CCxP certifications and delay starting on a CCIE for a few years? Or will I get a better return in terms of job/money if I go for my CCIE R&S right after I'm done with my CCNP?

In the end, I still want to get into a number of different areas, and I do want one or more CCIEs. I'm just trying to figure out what order to do things so I get the best return.

If anyone can relate their experiences, that would be great. Especially if you have achieved a CCIE.

Overall Rating: 5 (1 ratings)
ccbootcamp Thu, 12/06/2007 - 07:33

If your goal is CCIE, then definitely, after you finish your CCNP, go for your CCIE R&S. Keep your focus on the core technologies, and it will make your first CCIE, in R&S, take much less time - not to mention, it's kind of cool to have a #! :)

-brad

www.ccbootcamp.com

(please rate the post if this helps!)

swmorris Tue, 12/11/2007 - 12:54

The biggest thing affecting your decision will be the time:money ratio. With the CCxP certifications, you have a series of written exams to take at $125'ish each. So how much do you already know? How much prep will it take to pass them? What benefit(s) do you get in the immediate future from that?

With the CCIE exam, there tends to be a higher time+dollar investment. Just the obvious part of a $315 written exam and a $1,400 lab exam (assuming you pass on the first try), plus all of the equipment for practicing, and/or bootcamps, practice labs, rack rentals, etc.

All of these things can add up. While there are obvious financial benefits to having your CCIE, you need to look at what things you can achieve within your own planned timeframe and budget.

While I can make good points about going each direction, you are the only one who really knows your whole situation in order to make the best decision for you!

You'll find successful people who took both paths, so it's all about you!

Cheers,

Scott

smorris@ipexpert.com

Actions

This Discussion