Views
Helpful
Replies

Switching for Cisco IPT

a.gooding
Level 5
Level 5

Here is a question a customer emailed me today

" so im looking at the Cisco IPT solution and its impressive. after noticing the costing, i see no way of justifying the switching infrastructure. our entire organization is based on dell switching and Cisco routers.

we intend to stay with this as our switches are new has QOS and POE enabled as well as IEE power compliant as i understand and will work with the Cisco Phone models. we can also acheive the same measure of redundancy as proposed in the 3-layer model that Cisco applies. please advise as to if there are any limitations of these switches as i cannot see any at this point in time"

from a pre-sales prospective how do you justify changing to Cisco, and more importantly, from a TECHNICAL prospective do we convince the customer to change or leave?

3 Replies 3

what is their Call center needs?, CTI requirements and CRM needs?

Look to the future and plan and deploy now.

Tommer Catlin
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

the use CDP and e911 services is huge. CDP relays back to CER through CDP the MAC address, port plugged into, etc.

jcraven
Level 1
Level 1

In terms of implementation and operation: if you follow the separate VLANs for voice and data model - which you probably should - you will have to manually set the correct VLAN on every phone in the phone settings. phones use CDP to discover voice VLAN. I've done a deployment with non-Cisco switches such as this, and it definately slows things down. Of course you don't want to hurt any feelings, but... there is a reason Dell was giving away their switches for free a few years back. I like to save money too, but I wouldn't stake my business on running critical infrastructure this level of switch.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: