cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

RPS 2300

sknorr
Level 1
Level 1

I'm looking to use a RPS 2300 to act as a redundant power supply for some 2950 switches in my data center. I figured that they would be able to keep my 4 switches up and running in the event that power was lost to the switches. As long as I have my RPS unit on a different ciruit. What I'm reading is that it will only protect against local power supply failures and can only backup up to 2 devices at one time. So protection from losing power to half of a network rack is not possible. Can anyone either confirm or deny?

3 Replies 3

Collin Clark
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Stephen-

After reading the RPS Q&A (http://cisco.com/en/US/partner/products/ps7148/products_qanda_item0900aecd805bbf21.shtml) it looks like you are correct, it can only power 2 switches at one time. It looks like the RPS is designed more for power supply failure than power redundancy.

HTH

I was affraid of that.

you are correct. The rps is a failover for power supplies.

from the description:

-Helps ensure uninterrupted operation and protection against device power supply failures by providing seamless failover for Cisco switches including the Cisco Catalyst 3750-E Series Switches and routers such as Cisco Integrated Services Routers.

cheers,

petr

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: