cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

active and hot 10g supervisor module behavior

kwanm63
Level 1
Level 1

If I have one access 6509 switch connected to 2 core 6509 switch as follows..

Switch a - dual 10g sup..

slot 5 -- Active

slot 6 - Hot

Slot 5, supA-connected to core 1

Slot 6 , sup B- connected to core 2.

Running MST spanning tree

Since slot 5 is active, I expected my traffic to be following through there primarily.

But if I lose my link from core 1 to supA, will traffic then kick over to supB even though it's only in 'hot' mode ? I'm getting conflicting answers...

due to port count restriction on my core switches, I cannot do one link to core 1 and one link to core 2

on supA and the same on supB.

I also cannot do a full layer 3 to the core for now.

thanks

all

4 Replies 4

merritt81
Level 1
Level 1

Hi there, I believe there may be some mis-understanding regarding the redundancy of the supervisors. In order to force the redundant supervisor to forward frames you need to make the hot sup process traffic.

therein lies my problem. Is that possible ?how do you make a 'hot' module take over if the active module is still 'active' but the link to on the 'active' module drops....

I would recommend reading through the 6500 configuration guide. I have linked you directly to the redundancy configuration section.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst6500/ios/12.2SXF/native/configuration/guide/nsfsso.html

I think what you are implying is that unless I manually flip the secondary sup to make it active, there is no automatic redundancy.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card