cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Poor call quality SIP trunk direct to CCM vs SCCP call - Any ideas?

nyciscotech
Level 1
Level 1

Hello experts,

I am beta testing SIP trunks to a VOIP provider, and the trunks terminate directly to the CCM 4.1 server.

Call functionality works fine. However call quality is poor. During a conversation when there is no speech, intermittent static can be heard or "background noise". When the remote party begins to speak, everything is clear and then again some "hissing" when they stop.

Normally I would associate this with VAD, however since the call is terminating directly to CCM and this option is disabled in defaults it should not be applied.

Oddly enough, calls from VPN spoke to VPN spoke or from Core to spoke over the same Internet feed are crystal CLEAR and sound amazing.

I would introduce a voice router (2800) to terminate the SIP trunks but would like to know if call quality will improve before the investment is made.

Any ideas? Thanks!

3 Replies 3

thomuff
Level 3
Level 3

Have you tried clearing you dsps on your gateway router? I was having similiar problem with my phones.

A second time was a carrier issue. I really had to stay on top of the carrier to get it resolved.

Hi, thanks for the response.

SIP is trunked direct to CCM for this beta testing and a gateway router is not involved.

As a side note, calls terminated to the current gateway via PSTN and H323 trunking are perfect.

So wondering if it's an issue with SIP trunking direct to the CCM server or with the provider itself.

Thanks

whanson
Level 2
Level 2

We are having issues with CM 5 but it appears to be related to the CM not releasing sip connections so after so many calls you get terrible voice quality. I am interested if you could steer me to how to terminate the trunks in a gateway rather than cm.