cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Possible to see switchport info on a PIX501?

burruss
Level 1
Level 1

Is it possible to view the port information on the PIX501 switchports?

I have a remote office connected via VPN on a 501, with users saying they are unable to get an ip address. The users show they are getting a link, but no IP address. I can log into the PIX, and see no DHCP bindings, and no arp entries on the inside interface.

I'm not sure if they are plugged directly into the PIX, or into an intermediary switch, and no one currently at the site has access into the data closet.

So, is there any way I can see if the switchports have a link, or do I have to wait until someone can get into the closet.

Thanks

2 Replies 2

bevans
Level 1
Level 1

burrus,

You may want to post this on the "security" section. But, here are a few ideas:

1. Can you telnet to any of the remote switches?

2. Can you use a debug command on the PIX to see whats going on?

3. Is there some ACL or security control blocking DHCP? Mixing ACLs and DHCP can be tricky.

4. Will "show cdp" commands give you any hint?

I hope this helps.

- Bill

I tried posting in Security, but no responses, and wasn't sure where to post since I am looking for more of a link question.

This is part of the problem, we are not sure if the users are plugged directly into the PIX, or if they have a switch in between. It's a remote office we shipped the PIX to, and there are only a couple of users.

This device has been in place for more than 2 years, and we had no problems until yesterday.

All the PIX can tell me right now is that it is not receiving any traffic on the inside interface (eth1 up/up), which is why I wonder if there is a way to see the switch ports.

I suspect someone at the site unplugged something they weren't supposed to.

Being a soho appliance, I figured I'm screwed until someone can get in and physically inspect the setup, I was just hoping someone knew of a magical command I can't seem to find :)

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card