CCENT/CCNA ICND1 - ICND2 (Cisco Press) 3rd Edition - Wendel Odom. Question

Unanswered Question
Dec 8th, 2007

Hello all,I'm actually deciding to go ahead with my certification desires. I've been procastinating for 2.5 years, and I probably could be a ccsp/vp/np , whatever by now. . .so I decided to pick up the stated book in the topic, by Wendel Odom. I read the previous revision from 2005/2006 I believe, before CCent was out, and I finished that first book, and gave up, and never went on to the second one.

I'm rehashing whats in ICND1, and refreshing my brain. Subnetting I still remember fluidly, but other topics, I'm just re-glazing to stick it in the brain again....

However, wendel lays out 2 paths, do the ICND1 book *only* , then take icnd1 for CCENT cert, then start the ICND2 book and then take a ccna test.

however, if ccna path is your desire he says to go back/forth between the two books (with which page in book 1 to go from, then to which page in book 2, going from topic to advanced topic back/forth.

is ccent even worth it? or just stick to the ICND1/ICND2 dual(ccna) path?

I dont want to demean ccent, but it seems like a waste of time?

I'm a network administrator at a defense contractor, with 4 years of experience.

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
ccbootcamp Sat, 12/08/2007 - 09:26

Ryan,

I have heard the new comprehensive CCNA test is pretty difficult. It ight make more sense for you to go take it in two tests (ie, ICND1 and then ICND2). I think the "divide" and conquer principle would benefit you greatly.

-brad

www.ccbootcamp.com

(please rate the post if this helps!)

ryanwesteagle Mon, 12/10/2007 - 08:15

I haven't really seen alot of discussions in the community about the path to take, and that decision is based on each individuals strengths & weaknesses in various areas?

One of the areas, that seems to be a little touch/go for me, are the times when the book seems to go over structures of packets/frames, etc, ie:

[Flag|address|control|type|data|FCS] - cisco HDLC, etc

Times like this is when I say to myself, when they go indepth this early into analzying frames/packets, I say, this seems a little tough, I am not a wireshark expert, and dont need to analyze this miroscopic yet?

difficult to easy, seems to rotate alot in the text, not just this book.

For instance, a chapter after hdlc frame structure, it could be subnetting which I consider 1000x easier content/topic to learn.

I'll just plug away, starting chapter 5 in ccna/ccent book now.

I can answer most subnetting questions, but some of the questions in the "quiz yoruself" I got wrong. More then 1 wrong, read the whole chapter it says....

Actions

This Discussion