DUal 1700 router home lab question

Unanswered Question
Dec 8th, 2007

I have two 1700 routers. I was wondering if I can just hook the two 1700 routers directly to my laptop via a usb port and do some two router labs? I may need an adapter that connects the console cable to the usb port. Someone was telling me that I need to have two computers for this lab setup but I dont think so. A friend of mine said you can create loopback interfaces and he just used two routers and his laptop to get his CCNA. I just wanted to know what you think.

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 5 (1 ratings)
ccbootcamp Sat, 12/08/2007 - 12:37

First, you will need a USB to serial adapter for your laptop so you can connect to the console ports on the routers. Here's one for $13:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1086963&CatId=464

Second, yes, you can connect the two 1700 routers together, but you want to do it via serial ports or ethernet ports. What model # of 1700 series do you have? What interface cards (WIC) do you have?

-brad

www.ccbootcamp.com

(please rate the post if this helps!)

rscarborough63 Sat, 12/08/2007 - 21:01

Thanks so much for your help. I have two 1720 routers. I do have them connected viaserial ports. I will get the adapter too. I will probably have to do my switching stuff on the routersim simulator for now.

Thanks again

ccbootcamp Sat, 12/08/2007 - 21:06

you're welcome. don't forget to get the back to back serial cable for your 1720s. if they are wic-1ts, you will need DB60 to DB60. :)

good luck to you!

-brad

www.ccbootcamp.com

(please rate the post if this helps!)

rscarborough63 Sun, 12/09/2007 - 07:51

Ok I have those. I just have to get the adapter. WIll I be able to do OSPF labs with this setup also?

Thanks

rscarborough63 Sun, 12/09/2007 - 07:58

Thanks I checked it out and it was very helpful. I have had classes in the past but sometimes you forget all the info. I really appreciate everyones help. Took the test twice before first time 707 and second time 809. Time to hit it again after a few years away from it. Using the lammle book. I may do the two test route.

Appreciate the help guys

Actions

This Discussion