Views
Helpful
Replies

QoS bandwidth reserving

jtishey01
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I am playing with QoS and traffic policies and was hoping someone could set me straight on bandwidth usage. I know QoS reserves 25% bandwidth by default for internal process overhead, but is this actually needed for network traffic? Or just to keep the interface from being too busy?

Example:

Lab router 2514 is connected to the internet on Ethernet0 via 512 Kbps upstream cable modem. Do these 'internal processes' need the actual 128Kbps of the 512? Could I set the bandwidth of the interface to 682Kbps so it has 25% in addition to the 512Kbps of the internet connection as the interface is capable of more then 512?

Any info helps!

Thanks,

John

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

lgijssel
Level 9
Level 9

This is something you can decide yourself and it will not be the same for all systems.

For example, it makes quite some difference whether you are using a routing protocol or not.

You can adjust the default by specifying the usable bandwidth per interface using the following interface-command:

max-reserved-bandwidth 96

This example allocates 96% of the bandwith for user traffic.

regards,

Leo

View solution in original post

guruprasadr
Level 7
Level 7

HI John, [Do RATE ALL HELPFUL POSTS]

In addition to Leo POST,

25% of Overall Bandwidth is reserved by QOS for Internal Route Processing Traffic like OSPF Updates / Eigrp Update / BGP Updates and other Routing Protocol Updates over WAN / LAN the QOS is implemented.

Do RATE ALL HELPFUL POSTS.

Best Regards,

Guru Prasad R

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

lgijssel
Level 9
Level 9

This is something you can decide yourself and it will not be the same for all systems.

For example, it makes quite some difference whether you are using a routing protocol or not.

You can adjust the default by specifying the usable bandwidth per interface using the following interface-command:

max-reserved-bandwidth 96

This example allocates 96% of the bandwith for user traffic.

regards,

Leo

guruprasadr
Level 7
Level 7

HI John, [Do RATE ALL HELPFUL POSTS]

In addition to Leo POST,

25% of Overall Bandwidth is reserved by QOS for Internal Route Processing Traffic like OSPF Updates / Eigrp Update / BGP Updates and other Routing Protocol Updates over WAN / LAN the QOS is implemented.

Do RATE ALL HELPFUL POSTS.

Best Regards,

Guru Prasad R

Thanks guys, that was exactly the information I was looking for. :)

Regards,

John

guru bhai congrats on ur 500.

allan.thomas
Level 8
Level 8

One of other fundamental reasons for this reservation is to ensure that you do not completely starve bandwidth for the scavenging/best effort traffic when you configure your QoS policies.

Regards

Allan.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card