Views
Helpful
Replies

Errors on Gig interfaces

willemvwyk
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All

I have a scenario where I have a 3 storey building. On each floor there are 3 switches. Each switch has 2 gig interfaces used as uplinks.

The switches are connected in such a way that some of the gig interfaces are running half duplex. Because of the half duplex settings we are seeing errors on the interfaces.

Can someone please assist by advising how to get the interfaces to run at full duplex?

Thanks

willemvw

5 Replies 5

chris_tan
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

If I remember correctly,Gigabit interface cannot configure the duplex setting. Please verify. What is the model of these switch?

Rgds,

Christopher

Hi Christopher

You are correct by saying the gig interface duplex settings cannot be set. However there are some switches which have for instance gig0/1 interface half duplex and gig 0/2 interface full duplex. From what I understand this set up is from the way the interfaces are connected.

The switches are WS-C2950G-48-EI.

Hi,

Are those interface configured as auto/auto setting? or there is a command to force it to half-duplex? You will need to change both site to have similar setting.

Rgds,

Christopher

Hi,

Are those interface configured as auto/auto setting? or there is a command to force it to half-duplex? You will need to change both site to have similar setting.

Rgds,

Christopher

You likely have interconnected these switches using GigaStack modules. When there are only two of these on a link, the connection will be full duplex. As soon as a third device is added, the whole stack will default to half duplex.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/modules/ps872/products_module_installation_guide_chapter09186a008007d1ef.html#xtocid4

regards,

Leo

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: