Views
Helpful
Replies

Codec Support: E1 PRI

hemant.wavhal
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have NM-HDV-2T1/E1 card where e1 PRI is terminated.

Will this PRI support Voice Calls on G.729 codec.Is there any effect on the Voice quality ?

What are the best practises for Codec while configuring the PRI for PSTN interface ?

6 Replies 6

Brandon Buffin
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Calls across the PRI will be g.711 only.

Hope this helps.

Brandon

Hi,

Thanks !!

But i can see that codec used for the calls across PRI is g.729r8.Also reported no severe effect on Voice quality.

Will this be fine or do i need to configure separate region with g711ulaw codec for PRIs ?

Hi,

What Brandon meant, is that codec on the PRI circuit itself is always G711 (u-law or a-law depending on where you are).

Then, the VoIP portion of the call can be g.729 with good quality. This you can change if you want.

Hi,

Does it mean that even if i see codec as g729r8 on Show Voice call Summary command, PRI does the conversion from G729r8 to g711ulaw for outbound calls and vice versa for inbound calls ?

Yes. In fact, the conversion is always bidirectional no matter if the call is incoming or outgoing, because a voice call has always one transmit and one receive path.

I have set up whereby we have cluster in country A with a remote GW running Q Sig going to a PABX in Country B. To reduce BW across the WAN we have regions set up- Calls A to B use g729, Are you saying that calls will be g729 from and to the GW but the actual GW will change them going to the PABX from G729 to G711 automatcailly . We have problems with volume- tried changing the iput gain and attenuation before .

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: