cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

old 6500 code

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

We have a 6500 with the old Sup 1 / msfc1 . Do you absolutely need the bootloader file for this or will it boot ok without it ? We are putting newer code on it and there is not enough room in msfc bootflash for both the bootloader and the IOS. If we have to we can put the IOS on slot0: but would rather have it boot off the msfc bootflash: . Early on these boxes used to have problems trying to read the IOS out of slot0: . I don't know if this issue has been fixed at this point or not , I would hope so .

1 Reply 1

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Found my answer , looks like you have to have it on a msfc1 .

Note: The bootloader image is mandatory for MSFC1, and must be placed in the MSFC bootflash. A bootloader image is not a requirement for the MSFC2. However, Cisco recommends that you use a boot image as described in this procedure. A boot image is a much smaller, scaled-down version of the system image. With a boot image, you can perform a TFTP image transfer if the main system image becomes corrupt or lost. If you choose to use an MSFC2 boot image, you must store it in the MSFC bootflash.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card