cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Ethernet handoff

kartik6446
Level 1
Level 1

Hi can anyone explain what is ethernet handoff?

16 Replies 16

Edison Ortiz
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Is the feed provided to you by the carrier (ISP). If they mentioned ethernet handoff, they imply a RJ45 connection to your equipment.

I have a router which has inbuilt 16 port switch module and so how to check if it has a port that supports this ethernet handoff?

You have 16 ports with RJ45, it does support ethernet handoff.

How to configure a port on the switch for making it to route the traffic using ethernet interface rather than the serial link?

karthik,

Your question is too vague.

We need more specifics. Network Diagram, current configuration, network requirements, hardware involved, etc.

The more information the better, a one liner won't cut it.

currently there is a serial link between two routers but because we are doing ethernet handoff on one router, i want to know how to make routing possible?

Just move the IP address under the serial interface over to the ethernet interface, if you are planning to keep the same P2P WAN subnet.

If you are planning to create a new P2P WAN subnet, then you need to include it in your current static/dynamic routing configuration.

Just to add on this: if my ISP delivers it as Fast-E handoff, is it still better to terminate it on a router or just directly on a switch?

What's the advantage of ordering an FE hand-off instead of the old-school serial interface?

> What's the advantage of ordering an FE hand-off instead of the old-school serial interface?

I hate to answer with a question but,

how much bandwidth can you fit via that serial interface ?

It fits upto 1.5Mbps on that serial interface..

That's a point. But a DS3 card can give me a full 45 Mbps which is more than adequate for my application :-)

By the way on the other question what's the better wait to terminate it? On the router FE port or switch?

45Mbps at what cost ? :)

You can get a 100Mbps hand-off much cheaper nowadays ...

________

To answer your other question, it can terminate on either device. Choosing one over the other doesn't make better but it needs to meet your network design requirement.

If you have an office with a 10Mb hand-off, it's easier to drop a 3560 or 3750 switch and have the WAN and office connecting on the same device instead of having a router connecting to a switch.

the switch module that i have doesn't support layer 3 routing .... so i got struck to as how to terminate it... probably i need to buy a new 1800 router to get an ethernet interface or buy a HWIC card...

Yes it does, you need to configure SVIs (Switch Virtual Interfaces) to route between those ports, just like a typical Catalyst Switch.

interface fx/x

switchport access vlan 2

interface vlan 2

ip address x.x.x.x y.y.y.y

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: