cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

3550 Layer 3 routing?

glynncounty
Level 1
Level 1

I have a layer 3 with the following static route.

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 10.24.46.224

It is connected to a wireless shot. I also have a T-1 connection that I would like to hook up.

But how do I get a static route so if the main connection is not available I can send traffic over the T-1 connection.

6 Replies 6

Edison Ortiz
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You can create a 'weighted' default route.

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 [t1 interface ip] 200

Where '200' is the administrative distance for that route.

We do not run any dynamic routing protocols. Could i Use.

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 [t1 interface ip] 1

or would this cause a problem with the other static route

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 10.24.46.224 ?

The static route AD is 1, for a weighted route use a value greater than 1.

Hi friend,

when Ortiz told you to set that default route with the administrative distance 200, the point is that all the traffic would pass through the first route; if a failure occurs, it will converge to the second route. If you use a admnistrative distance of 1, you will affect the traffic, because 1 is the default administrative distance to default and static routes. The 200 at the end of the command is to ensure that this is the 2nd route, and even if you use a dynamic routing protocol the route will be always the second option. Example: the EIGRP has a administrative distance of 90, less than the 200 second route adminstrative distance.

Okay, thank you.

Anyway around DHCP scope issues. If current route fails and T-1 picks up with different IP DHCP scopes will all machines need to do a

ipconfig /release and ipconfig /renew?

Your internal devices point to the LAN interface of the router.

This interface will not change, what changes is the WAN interface. This is handled with the ip route commands.

In short, no need to make any changes in the DHCP scope.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card