Views
Helpful
Replies

Urgent help required on policy route

pokwan
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

We have a 3845 with the following cut down configuration.

interface GigabitEthernet0/0

ip address 10.10.10.2 255.255.255.248

interface GigabitEthernet0/1

description *VOICE interface

ip address 192.168.62.2 255.255.255.0

ip policy route-map reg_voice

h323-gateway voip interface

h323-gateway voip bind srcaddr 192.168.62.2

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 10.10.10.1

access-list 110 permit ip 192.168.62.0 0.0.0.255 10.12.0.0 0.0.255.255

route-map reg_voice permit 10

match ip address 110

set ip next-hop 192.168.62.1

We have a problem where when we ping using interface gi0/1 IP 192.168.62.2 to any IPs (beyond the router) it will use the default route (10.10.10.1) rather than 192.168.62.1. The policy routes only works on devices with IPs 192.168.62.0/24 (except the interface) traversing the interface.

Can you suggest what can be done to enable the interface gi0/1 IP to reply via 192.168.62.1?

TIA.

PF

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

PF

If I understand your post correctly you are describing normal behavior of the IOS. Policy Based Routing as you have configured it is for traffic that will transit the router and not for traffic generated by the router itself.

If you want to do PBR for traffic generated by the router itself then you need to also configure local PBR. Use this command in global config mode:

ip local policy route-map

You will need to figure out whether the existing route map will do what you want or whether you need a somewhat different route map (in particular I am not clear that the existing route map restriction on the source address being in 192.168.62.0 is what you want). Perhaps you want to include some additional source addresses?

Give it a try and let us know how it works.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

PF

If I understand your post correctly you are describing normal behavior of the IOS. Policy Based Routing as you have configured it is for traffic that will transit the router and not for traffic generated by the router itself.

If you want to do PBR for traffic generated by the router itself then you need to also configure local PBR. Use this command in global config mode:

ip local policy route-map

You will need to figure out whether the existing route map will do what you want or whether you need a somewhat different route map (in particular I am not clear that the existing route map restriction on the source address being in 192.168.62.0 is what you want). Perhaps you want to include some additional source addresses?

Give it a try and let us know how it works.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Rick,

Thanks very mucy for the reply. Do I have to remove the policy applied to the interface before applying the policy globally. I will resuse the route map.

Thanks.

PF

Rick,

I know the answer to my query. Your suggestion works. Thanks very much for your help.

PF

PF

I am glad that my suggestion works. Thank you for using the rating system to indicate that your issue was resolved (and thanks for the rating). It makes the forum more useful when people can read about an issue and can know that they will read what was done to resolve the issue.

I encourage you to continue your participation in the forum.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: