cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Simple question - Setup Multiple 1130AG on same network

johnsmith13
Level 1
Level 1

I have about 15 laptops in a small network that I want to provide some wireless connections for them. I am planning to put a couple 1130AG access points around the building so my users can walk around with their laptops, and still connected to the network. Security will be WPA with IAS Server. The APs will have the same SSID, but different channels.

I've research on cisco.com to see how I would connect the APs, in regarding to the main switch, and can't seem to get a good clear answer. Some documentations mention having the main (root) APs be wired to the network switch. Then the other APs can connect to the main APs wirelessly, and become repeater access points. I don't like this configuration because it would reduce the performance. But that's seem to be the way to go.

I was thinking of connecting all 1130AG APs to the switch, using wired CAT5 cable. Each being its own access point and have different IP (on the same network). Same SSID on all. Different Channel. Each will point to the IAS for security authentiation. Would this solution work? It seems like an obvious solution, but I want to make sure. Maybe I'm making it harder than it is.

Thanks

2 Replies 2

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi John,

Your thinking is the correct way to go! Repeater AP's are generally used when there is no way to "hardwire" the location. Each repeater AP hop reduces the throughput so not the best model unless absolutely necessary :)

Hope this helps!

Rob

Thank you. I guess I make it a little harder than what it is supposed to be.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card