Sitting for CCIE R&S written before expiring the exam I have already passed

Unanswered Question
Dec 10th, 2007

G'day Experts,

I passed the CCIE R&S written on 29/07/06 which is going to expire on 29/01/08 as I have not sit for the Lab exam.

My question is that is it possible to sit for the CCIE R&S written exam before it expires i.e. before 29/01/08.

The reason I want to do this is that I will be traveling overseas for some time.

Thanks

Sanjay

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 3.3 (3 ratings)
Kevin Dorrell Mon, 12/10/2007 - 21:05

You have left it a bit late! The scheduling horizon is 8 months, and the order books are almost full. There are some cancellation seats that come up each day, usually 28 days in advance, but they are usually snapped up within an hour of being released. That means you will have to get in before the end of December, or it will be too late.

The strategy you should follow is to consult the website every day from midnight PST onwards. All the seats are usually sold by 01:00 PST.

Good luck!

Kevin Dorrell

Luxembourg

ccbootcamp Mon, 12/10/2007 - 21:16

Kevin,

read the question he is asking. He wants to know if he can take the written again before his written expires. he's not asking about taking a lab attempt.

-brad

www.ccbootcamp.com

(please rate the post if this helps!)

ruser Mon, 12/10/2007 - 21:20

You are right Brad.

I want to take the written before it expires.

Thanks

Sanjay

Kevin Dorrell Mon, 12/10/2007 - 23:46

Brad, you are right. §-(

I often have a problem with reading the question for some reason. In fact, that may partly account for my lack of success in the lab so far.

Perhaps CCBOOTCAMP does some courses aimed specifically at those who have (most of) the technical knowledge but are who are no good at reading (and interpreting) the questions? ;-)

Actually, I have a supplementary question relating to this. My last unsuccessful attempt at the lab was in October 2007, and I have re-scheduled for May 2008. My written expires definitively in June 2008. I do not want to risk letting my CCNP expire, so my question is this: if I re-sit the CCIE written between now and May and I do not pass, would that disqualify me from taking up my lab seat in May, and would it invalidate my CCNP?

Kevin Dorrell

Luxembourg

mohammedmahmoud Tue, 12/11/2007 - 00:34

Hi Kevin,

Thank you for welcoming me back, and yes there is light at the end of the tunnel :)

As for you question, the CCIE expiration is not related to your CCNP expiration, since your CCIE written is valid for 18 months, while your CCNP is valid for 3 years, accordingly in your case your CCNP will expire 3 years from your last successful CCIE written exam, while your CCIE written exam expires before it (just after 18 months).

For example my CCIE expires 2009 (since the CCIE is valid for 2 years), while my CCNP/CCIP expires 2010 (since CCNP/CCIP are valid for 3 years), please do check your Certification Progress:

http://www.cisco.com/go/certifications/login

Good luck, and yes part of the CCIE lab exam is not covering all the technical points, but how to interpret the question :) I really wish you good luck with your next attempt.

HTH,

Mohammed Mahmoud.

Kevin Dorrell Tue, 12/11/2007 - 00:52

Hi Mohammed,

As I understood it, the written expires after 18 months, but if you have a lab attempt, even an unsuccessful one, then it is extended for a further 12 months. Then it expires definitively after 3 years.

I hope that is right, otherwise my last lab attempt was under false pretences. I passed the written in June 2005 (extending my CCNP to June 2008), and had my first lab attempt in December 2006, just before the 18-month deadline. Then I had another go at the lab in October 2007. By my reckoning, I have an absolute deadline of June 2008 for both my CCIE written and my CCNP, then I would have to take the written again.

I know I am on rather an extended timescale, but I do find it difficult juggling lab study with the day-job and family (and my music, and scouts, and swimming, and etc. etc.)

Kevin Dorrell

Luxembourg

mohammedmahmoud Tue, 12/11/2007 - 01:25

Kevin,

I think we can confirm all this if you could check the status of your exams by visiting the Certification Progress, its really a very nice tool:

http://www.cisco.com/go/certifications/login

I fully understand your words about juggling lab study, i suffered a lot from it, specially that i had a young daughter in the middle of the preparation (she is 6 months old now), but i think that this is part of the price, you should reduce the other stuff until passing your exam :) after passing your exam you can produce your own sound tracks :)

BR,

Mohammed Mahmoud.

ruser Tue, 12/11/2007 - 01:36

Same story here. I was almost ready for the lab and was preparing to fly to Tokyo. But something happened and I just lost track.

Anyway I am preparing again. I am planning to sit for the lab in Feb end or early March.

We are having trouble getting dates here in Sydney as Cisco doesn't have any full time proctor.

Cheers

Sanjay

Wilson Samuel Tue, 12/11/2007 - 10:14

Hi Kevin,

I would like to know if the univercd also contains Config Guides for the Swtiches, which to my understanding is completely different than that of univercd.

Could you please let me know if Univercd also contains Config Guide or Cisco allows us to access Config Guide for any Switch and IOS during our Lab.

Secondly, I would like to know what all study patterns are you using for the Lab preparation.

Looking forwar for your help.

Kind Regards,

Wilson Samuel

Kevin Dorrell Tue, 12/11/2007 - 11:10

Hi Wilson,

The documentation used during the lab was always the UniverCD, but I don't know for how much longer that will remain so. You can get a feel for what is on the univercd from www.cisco.com/univercd. If you can access it with "univercd" still in the URL, then that is what you should get during the exam. I always use that path to access the documentation so that I get used to the structure.

As for preparation, first I should say I do not have any vested interest in any of the competing products, so whatever I say is entirely my own personal opinion only.

I am using the NetMasterClass DoIT labs at the moment. I started using them because the support was exceptionally good - a guy called Alexei was on their forum ("DiscussIT") and was really ready to answer and discuss any question on any lab. Unfortunately, Alexei seems to have disappeared recently and the DiscussIT seems to have all but dried up now. But the labs are still very good. NMC also do some graded and proctored test that you can take to check your progress. I try to do 1 lab per week, which should take 8 hours, but usually takes 16 by the time I have investigated all the new features in it.

I have just sent off for the IPExpert labs book (Scott Morris), so it will be interesting to compare the two programmes. IPExpert seem to be doing quite a good promotion at the moment, which is what hooked me.

Then of course there is Brad Ellis's CCBOOTCAMP, which also looks very interesting. Brad is very active on NetPro. The thing I like about theirs is that you can buy them in modules of 5 labs at a time, which means you don't have to committ so much money up front, and you can buy them as you progress. But I confess I have not tried their labs yet. There is a sample lab on their web site that you can download. Unfortunately the answer key is not complete, but it should give you an idea before you buy.

For me, studying mostly on my own, the real clinch point would be the support. If you don't understand something, who do you discuss it with?

That's it. I'm sorry if there are products I did not mention. I hope that if I got any facts wrong that the guys from those three organisations will jump in and add their comments.

Kevin Dorrell

Luxembourg

tperrier Tue, 12/11/2007 - 12:43

Kevin's list is quite complete, but I would add at least Internetwork Expert to it, for that's the material I used (work book and a couple mock labs). :) Their forum isn't very active, but you can usually find a solution to a problem you may have with their workbook, which aren't always perfect. But from what I've read about other vendor's workbooks, they have some bugs too; that's actually not a bad thing, because that forces you to *think*.

Actions

This Discussion