Views
Helpful
Replies

Ciscoworks issue

wim_depauw
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

One of my customers has a LMS2.6 which shows a strange behaviour for one of his devices.

Although the SNMP credentials are correct he is still trying to access with the community string public. I already deleted the device in common services and rediscovered but it stays the same.Also the error shows up at the most different times ( so not only when he's doing a discovery ).

I have the impression that it starts when he does his data collection.

Has anybody seen this problem before ? How can I solve it ?

gr

wim

3 Replies 3

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The two places where community strings are stored are in DCR and in Device Discovery's SNMP settings. You can validate the DCR credentials by exporting the DCR data for this device under Common Services > Device and Credentials > Device Management. You can see the Discovery SNMP settings under Campus Manager > Admin > Device Discovery > SNMP Settings.

Data Collection does have the concept of a default community string -- and it is public -- but if those two locations are correct, then that string should never be used. If you do what to rule out the Data Collection default community string, you can modify the snmp.defaultReadCmty in NMSROOT/campus/etc/cwsi/ANIServer.properties.

Hi,

Both settings were ok but he was still giving an error message . Replaced the default community string in aniserver.properties and problem is resolved.

Can you also put a default username + password for telnetting ? Now we need to add the users each time when we have a new device.

thx

Wim

with LMS 2.6 and below you cannot have a default username and password for telnet access.

This is one of the new features in LMS 3.0 where you can set default credentials for *ALL* devices.

For ALL devices means that you cannot have different default telnet credentials based on IP wildcards as you can do with snmp (where SNMP communities can be assigned according to IP, IP wildcards or IP ranges) - maybe this comes with 3.1 ????

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: