cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

HSRP problem

mohammady
Level 1
Level 1

after configuring multiple group HSRP for two routers(router 1 active for half of the traffic and router 2 active for the remaining half)I found that at certain time all traffic directed to router 1 and then the situation reversed the second router handle all the traffic and router 1 does not handle any traffic???!!!!!

is this and arp cache problem???

how to solve this problem????

18 Replies 18

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi

Could you post your config. Assuming that you have a stable environment and the routers are not flipping between each other half you clients should have one default-gateway set (one of the HSRP VIP's) and the other half of your clients should be using the other default-gateway (the other HSRP VIP).

Jon

smothuku
Level 7
Level 7

Hi Mohammad ,

I think you are doing load balacing qith HSRP.

Please check the below link..Can you paste the config of both the routers.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk648/tk362/technologies_configuration_example09186a0080094e90.shtml

Thanks,

satish

thanks for cooperation

below is my routers config

Router1

-------

standby 1 ip

standby 1 preempt

standby 1 track Serial0

standby 1 priority 105

standby 2 preempt

standby 2 ip

standby 2 track serial 0

Router 2

---------

standby 1 ip

standby 1 preempt

standby 1 track Serial0

standby 2 preempt

standby 2 ip

standby 2 track serial 0

standby 2 priority 105

Regards,

paul.matthews
Level 5
Level 5

There are a number of possible reasons, but two "headline" possibilities.

Either you have some instability that was causing the active router for each HSRP group to move around.

Or, you have some issue where all the users were using the same HSRP addres at that time.

How do you allocate gateway addresses to users? Are they manually configured or do you use DHCP? If DHCP have you got an advanced solution, or are you just using two DHCP servers and let them race?

I have a firewall with two default routes to the two Virtual IP of HSRP..

Is it the firewall that is not loadbalancing and does the firewall use a Virtual IP address itself ?

So what default-gateway have you setup on the firewall and what are the static routes.

The thing is the firewall can only use one gateway at a time. HSRP load-balancing is for spreading the load between multiple clients.

Jon

it is a juniper firewall??what do you think??

Hi

If it is a single device then it will not load balance as such unless it is doing per-packet loadbalancing.

Yes it may well use both routers but it can only use one router at a time.

Jon

cisco routers accept two default routes and load balance between them

Well yes, but from your previous posts my understanding was that the default static routes are on the Juniper not the routers ?

Jon

ok thanks Jon,,I will try to ask Juniper about that

Ah! You need to investigate the firewall - what is it?

Different systems use multiple routes differently.

Some will load balance, some will use just one.

You need to understand how the FW handles multiple routes.

This is right juniper firewall use only one default route..Any idea??

so what is the solutions a vailable in like situation, again the two cisco routers are connected to the same firewall and the firewall does not accept more than one default route so MHSRP didnt work with me??

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: