cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How to view date and time an interface was last up

davehedgehog
Level 1
Level 1

I am running a stack of Catalyst 3750's in a large office. I often find that ethernet ports are patched to desks that end up not being used for long periods of time. We end up with hardly any free switchports and it becomes a very manual job to find out which can be reused for another user. Is there a command I can use to view the date/time that each port was last up? This way I can see that a port has not been up for months and easily disconnect it for reuse.

5 Replies 5

williamsdo
Level 3
Level 3

Hi, I would use the "show ip interface brief" command it shows you the status of all the interfaces on your unit, if they are up and up, assigned IP or down down. You can also use the "show int fa0/1 | inc up" command on specific interfaces, also the "show int fa0/1 | inc minute" command will show you if any traffic has passed in the last 5 minutes.

HTH

floor1-sw1#show int fa0/1 | inc up

FastEthernet0/1 is up, line protocol is up (connected)

Half-duplex, 10Mb/s, media type is 10/100BaseTX

input flow-control is off, output flow-control is unsupported

floor1-sw1#show int fa0/1 | inc minute

5 minute input rate 0 bits/sec, 0 packets/sec

5 minute output rate 1000 bits/sec, 2 packets/sec

floor1-sw1#

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

I am not sure why they don't build this into all their switches there seems to be a call for it . In the 4500 series there is a command but only for that series , it is "show interface link" and this will tell you how long the port has been down . Why they don't put this into all their gear is a puzzler...

Last input 5w4d, output 2w0d ,why do these counts differ ? Which one do i work on then ,the input or the output ?

I assume you have the 4500 series then. I'm no expert but I would assume you would always look at the input (ie frames from host to switch) but why they should differ by that much time I don't know.

So it's looking like there is no command in the IOS that can help me with this problem. That is a shame - it would be a useful feature on all switches.

Hello Sarelb,

Which command did you use to get that info.I used to know the command to tell you how long the interfaces not been used, like weeks and months but I cannot remember now. 

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: