cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

gre+ipsec for cisco 3750e, 4948, 6500

saimbt
Level 1
Level 1

Does cisco 3750e, 4948, 6500 switches support gre+ipsec ????

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Sai

I am pretty sure that neither the 3750E or 4948 support that. I was not so sure about the 6500 but when I look at the Feature Navigator and the Config Guide for the 6500 I do not see them as options for the 6500 either. So believe that the answer is that none of these platforms support gre+ipsec.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

View solution in original post

No problem, glad to be of help.

Jon

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Sai

I am pretty sure that neither the 3750E or 4948 support that. I was not so sure about the 6500 but when I look at the Feature Navigator and the Config Guide for the 6500 I do not see them as options for the 6500 either. So believe that the answer is that none of these platforms support gre+ipsec.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Rick,

Thank u for the reply...

once again i repeat " u r a rockstar"...

-Sai

Hi Sai

Just to add that the 6500 can do IPSEC but you need an additional port adapter for it. Please see the attached sheet for service modules/adapters on 6500.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps708/products_relevant_interfaces_and_modules.html#aism

Jon

Hi Jon,

I got this page but i was wondering will this attract a enhanced IOS (added cost) as well that would support gre+ipsec??

-Sai.

What IOS are you running at present ?

right now we have not purchased the switch. We are evaluating the options.

-Sai.

The IOS that comes with the Sup720 should support this adapter as long as you get the right release.

Attached is the software configuration guide for this port adpater, it supports both GRE & IPSEC and specifies the IOS requirements.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps708/module_installation_and_configuration_guides_chapter09186a00805f37bf.html

One thing i would say is that 6500 switches and the modules are not cheap. If all you want is some switching capability and VPN accelearation i would look at the 2800/3800 ISR router's which support etherswitch cards which will give you switched ports, vlans etc.

HTH

Jon

Bulls eye... even I am advocating a ISR router but few people in my organization want the link on the 6500.

The ballpark figures for a module and IOS comes roughly for $43K

and a ISR would come for $10K

I will convenience my guys to go for a ISR.

Thanks for the efforts, it is appreciated.

-Sai.

No problem, glad to be of help.

Jon

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: