cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

remote access vpn broke after moving to 7.2.1

DANIEL WANG
Level 1
Level 1

I had PIX515E Restricted with three interfaces running at 7.0.6. Had a L2L VPN and a couple remote access VPN tunnels operating on this PIX.

I replaced the PIX with another PIX515E unrestricted with more interfaces. This replacement PIX runs at v7.2.1. I tftped the config from the old pix over and added the new interfaces and their corresponding ACLs.

Everything worked fine including the L2L tunnel, except for the remote access vpn. As soon as the IKE phase one finished and user authenticated, the Pix dropps the connection. VPN client is v.4.6.03.

I tried removing all RA VPN commands and started over. Tried simplifying the authentication from RADIUS to just local user. Tried usnig ASDM and its VPN wizard to remove and config the RA. It had problem removing and applying the VPN statements, though web console user is given priv level 15. I had to manually implement commands generated in ASDM wizard. Nothing worked.

Please see attachment for detailed PIX debug log.

--------------

" Attempted to assign network or broadcast IP address, removing (192.168.254.1) from pool.

Dec 06 16:15:44 [IKEv1 DEBUG]: Group = IT-VPN, Username = brazos, IP = 172.16.5.101, IKE TM V6

FSM error history (struct &0x2570f68) <state>, <event>: TM_DONE, EV_ERROR-->TM_BLD_REPLY,

EV_IP_OK-->TM_BLD_REPLY, NullEvent-->TM_BLD_REPLY, EV_GET_IP-->TM_BLD_REPLY, EV_NEED_IP--

>TM_WAIT_REQ, EV_PROC_MSG-->TM_WAIT_REQ, EV_HASH_OK-->TM_WAIT_REQ, NullEvent

Dec 06 16:15:44 [IKEv1 DEBUG]: Group = IT-VPN, Username = brazos, IP = 172.16.5.101, IKE AM

Responder FSM error history (struct &0x2b8dd80) <state>, <event>: AM_DONE, EV_ERROR--

>AM_TM_INIT_MODECFG_V6H, EV_TM_FAIL-->AM_TM_INIT_MODECFG_V6H, NullEvent-->AM_TM_INIT_MODECFG,

EV_WAIT-->AM_TM_INIT_XAUTH_V6H, EV_CHECK_QM_MSG-->AM_TM_INIT_XAUTH_V6H, EV_TM_XAUTH_OK--

>AM_TM_INIT_XAUTH_V6H, NullEvent-->AM_TM_INIT_XAUTH_V6H, EV_ACTIVATE_NEW_SA

Dec 06 16:15:44 [IKEv1 DEBUG]: Group = IT-VPN, Username = brazos, IP = 172.16.5.1

6 Replies 6

mchin345
Level 6
Level 6

delete the registery entry and reinstall the vpn client and try again

The problem is verified on 4 computers with different versions of cisco vpn client, including 4.6.03.0021 and 5.0.00.0340.

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

VictorAKur
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

what transform set are you using for the remote access connections?

For example Cisco VPN clients don't work with DES-SHA on ASA, it has to be DES-MD5 or 3DES-SHA (3DES-MD5). May be it is something silmillar in your case?

This is what my current one (created by ASDM) looks like:

crypto ipsec transform-set ESP-3DES-SHA esp-3des esp-sha-hmac

crypto dynamic-map outside_dyn_map 20 set transform-set ESP-3DES-SHA

This is what my old one looked like (CLI)

crypto ipsec transform-set MEDIUM esp-3des esp-md5-hmac

crypto dynamic-map dyn-vpn 4 set transform-set MEDIUM

Could you post the log from the client as well please?

Sorry I had a CCO account problem. Here is the VPN client log. The log exceeds the limit. I attached it the post.

This profile is using NAT-T. I also tried just IPSec with similar results. There is no other firewall/proxy in between.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: