cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

more speed with 2960g

loarrrrrrin
Level 1
Level 1

I have a very small gigabit network with lots of video traffic (with uncontrolled switches).

I want to buy a Catalyst 2960 8 port Gigabit switch to speed up my network.

And in addition i want to buy a file-server with two 2-ports network cards to connect all 4 ports to 4 ports of switch to have one ( etherchanel trunk?) fast channel.

Is it real with this switch and what server configuration and software would be ideal for this task?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

The "bundle" can be a switch port or a trunk, your choice! If the bundle is a trunk or a switch port you get the aggregate of the bundle. Here's a link that might help. Most examples show the bundle as a trunk because that's how most people use it, but it can be configured the way you are requesting.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst2960/software/release/12.2_25_see/configuration/guide/swethchl.html#wp1275680

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Collin Clark
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

You need server NIC's that support 'teaming' or 802.3ad (LACP). I know HP's do and they work pretty well. If you also want to trunk (you probably don't need too) the NIC will also have to support 802.1q. The 2960G-8TC-L switch should work just fine.

HTH and please rate.

Thank you very much for your really helpful answer!

Emm. If 4 ports on the cisco switch works as one - are they not obligatory in "trunk" mode? (links to the "trunk manual for dummies" are appreciated ;). And if they are not in trunk mode (all 4 ports) - is additional connection speed to server provided?

Sorry I'm not very familiar with this tech vocabulary.

The "bundle" can be a switch port or a trunk, your choice! If the bundle is a trunk or a switch port you get the aggregate of the bundle. Here's a link that might help. Most examples show the bundle as a trunk because that's how most people use it, but it can be configured the way you are requesting.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst2960/software/release/12.2_25_see/configuration/guide/swethchl.html#wp1275680

Thanks a lot!

My network will be renewed.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: