cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

IPS4215 not working right

cco-wallace
Level 1
Level 1

I have an IPS4215 that will ping hosts on the subnet it is on, but will not allows hosts to ping it nor will the IDM work from a workstation. Any help?

5 Replies 5

mhellman
Level 7
Level 7

Sounds like an issue with the default gateway. Do you have the default gateway configured and can you ping it?

Yes, default gateway is configured. IPS can ping other devices on other subnets.

Did you setup your access list when running the "setup" command in the CLI.

Do the machines you are connecting from have their IP in the sensor's access list (or part of a subnet within the access list)?

Machines whose IP is not in the access list will not be able to connect to the sensor.

Interesting Marco. Based on your reply I checked and just realized that the sensors are using iptables. I thought they used to use just tcpwrappers? Did that change with version 6 or has it been like that a long time and I just never noticed?

In any event, iptables (marco's explanation) is a much more plausible explanation if you can ping other subnets but they can't ping you.

I can't remember for sure when the change went. I think it was changed back in 5.0, but I am not positive.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: