Views
Helpful
Replies

Question About HSRP With Four (4) 65xx's

dholder
Level 1
Level 1

Good afternoon,

I once found a document on how to configure HSRP for VLAN's going across four (4) 65xx's. We have about 4 VLAN's that span these 65xx's. We are implementing a WAN core containing two (2) 6506E's that will have a 10 gb connection to each of the 65xx's that will make up our server farm. I once found a document that gave examples, but cannot find it now. And any campus design doc that I have found, does not contain HSRP config. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance for you assistance.

Dave

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Dave

No problem. Is it safe to assume that you have a L2 link between the 2 6500's that your servers are connected to.

If so i would stick with just running HSRP on the server 6500's and uplinking with L3 links to your core. This contain STP to the server 6500's.

Jon

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Dave

If all switch inreconnects are L2 trunks then you can just configure 4 SVI's for the same vlan in the same subnet, one on each 6500 and then configure the same Virtual IP under all 4 SVI interfaces.

Am i missing the point ?

Jon

Jon,

No you are not missing the point. You answered the way I asked. What I forgot to also ask, was would I connect the four (4) 65xx's together to allow HSRP hellos to talk? Or would that occur up the links going to the WAN core? I just want to make sure I don't have two (2) 65xx running in Primary for the same VLAN.

I hope I asked that right.

Thanks,

Dave

Dave

Could you describe the exact connectivity between the 4 6500's and whether the connections are L3 or L2 connections.

Just want to be sure i don't give you duff information.

Jon

Jon,

Sorry for not getting you all the information, as I forget some of these config issues.

I guess that is the question exact connectiviy between the 4 6500's. I had not planned to connect them. I am planning to run 10gig L3 connections from each 6500 up to the WAN core. So, each 6500 would have 2 10gig connections, and I guess your saying I might need a L2 connection between the 6500's.

Thanks for all the help.

Dave

Dave

No problem. Is it safe to assume that you have a L2 link between the 2 6500's that your servers are connected to.

If so i would stick with just running HSRP on the server 6500's and uplinking with L3 links to your core. This contain STP to the server 6500's.

Jon

Thanks for the assistance. That L2 link is what I forgot.

Have a great holiday.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card