cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

What is interface EO0/0?

Samuel8rown
Level 1
Level 1

What is interface EO0/0? It seems to show up in show vtp commands and SNMP sweeps and nothing else. I'm seeing traffic on it, even though I haven't configured an interface EO0/0 in my conf.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

williamsdo
Level 3
Level 3

Hi, the EO0/0 interface is used by your switch to process VTP updates to itself bascially. It uses a loopback address 127.0.0.12 to update the switch as the first interface found. If I remember correctly the IOS has something to do with setup of EO0/0, but I don't remember alot on the subject, maybe an expert can add to my information.

HTH

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Edison Ortiz
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

What type of hardware are you seeing this ?

Can you post the portion of the VTP command where you see this interface ?

The hardware in question is a 6509 w/ Sup720. On my hardware, it only shows up on an SNMP sweep. However, every example I can google up of the interface shows it in "show vtp status".

E.G.:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst6500/ios/12.1E/native/configuration/guide/vtp.html

williamsdo
Level 3
Level 3

Hi, the EO0/0 interface is used by your switch to process VTP updates to itself bascially. It uses a loopback address 127.0.0.12 to update the switch as the first interface found. If I remember correctly the IOS has something to do with setup of EO0/0, but I don't remember alot on the subject, maybe an expert can add to my information.

HTH

Thanks. That's what I was starting to suspect.

Interestingly, my system shows the address as 127.0.0.51 rather than 127.0.0.12, though your statement above agrees with the few examples I've been able to google up so far.

That's the Ethernet Out of Band interface.

It's referenced on this article

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/core/cis7600/software/122sr/swcg/diags.htm

I don't see reference in that document to EO0/0. (Though I do see reference to EOBC, which seems to be related?)

EO0/0 is short for EOBC0/0

Test-6503-2#sh eobc

Interface information:

Interface EOBC0/0 (idb = 0x5043D954)

Hardware is Mistral EOBC (revision 5)

Address is 0000.1100.0000 (bia 0000.1100.0000)

Encap size = 14 hardware status = 0x210840

IDB type = 18 IDB state = 4

Encap type = 0x1 Span encap size = 0

Error threshold = 5000 Error count = 0

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco