Views
Helpful
Replies

HSRP Problem

william.briere
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I have setup HSRP on the two 6500's with one vlan primary on SiteA and one vlan primary on SiteB. I stick a laptop on one vlan on SiteA and stick another on SiteB's vlan. The two laptops ping each other fine and can see each other via OSPF routes.

Now here is where the trouble starts...

I need to create some measure of redundancy so as you can see I connect the 4948's to each other creating a layer 2 connection between the 6500's. Naturally the routes disappear and the conenctivity is there. The problem is if I shut the trunk ports between the 4948's and the 6500's one side at a time... Connectivity bewteeen the two laptops disappears until the trunks from both 6500's to their 4948's are shut. If I shut only one... Then wait.. The connectivity is not restored until I shut the other. Why?

I would have firgured that the conenctivity would have stayed but for some reason it doesn't?? It moves from layer 3 to layer 2 fine... But when it is layer 2 it doesn't fail over like i would have thought.

Does this make sense? Please advise.

1 Reply 1

william.briere
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Jon,

I was kinda hoping you would jump in here because this was sort of your idea... :)

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card