Views
Helpful
Replies

Convert Sup720 from CatOS to Cisco IOS Software

limtohsoon
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Sir,

I'm converting a Supervisor Engine 720 on a Catalyst 6509 chassis from CatOS to Native IOS.

After the conversion, can I install the converted Sup720 on a Catalyst 6513 chassis? Any issue?

Please advise.

Thank you.

B.Rgds,

Lim TS

5 Replies 5

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Lim

If you mean can you use a sup720 with IOS in a 6513 chassis then yes you can.

Obviously any config that you have on the Supervisor for the 6509 switch will need to modified as modules will be in different slots etc.

HTH

Jon

nordick26
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Lim,

Yes, is't possible and as Jon mentioned, you'll need to change the config for the slots. Sup720 in 6509 can only be inserted into slots 5 and 6 and in 6513 into slots 7 and 8. So all config from slot 7,8 from 6509 will need to be changed.

Regards

Ivan

Hi Ivan,

Thanks for your reply and Jon's.

My full scenario is as follows:

There's a live Catalyst 6513 (with Sup720 in slots 7 & 8) running hybrid software (CatOS + MSFC IOS). I need to migrate it to Native IOS (I have chosen version 12.2(18)SXF11 which passed Safe Harbor testing).

Now, I have a spare Catalyst 6509 chassis with one spare Sup720. My migration strategy as follows:

(1) Convert the spare Sup720 to Native IOS on the spare Cat6509.

(2) Paste the L3 configs of the live Cat6513 onto the converted Sup720.

(3) Prepare L2 configs (IOS commands) and saved in a notepad. May use Cisco EDI conversion tool to assist.

(4) During the planned maintenance window, remove both Sup720 from the Cat6513 and insert the converted Sup720 into slot 7.

(5) After the switch is up, paste the L2 configs from my notepad. Perform verification of L2 & L3 functions.

(6) Insert one of the original Sup720 into the spare Cat6509 & perform conversion to Native IOS. Then insert it into slot 8 of the Cat6513 to synchronize to the active Sup.

Do you think the above strategy will work out well? Please advise if I'm missing something.

Thank you.

B.Rgds,

Lim TS

Hi Lim

Sounds like a very good plan to me.

Jon

Hi Lim,

yes, it sounds realy good.

Just do not forget to format your PCMCIA and bootflash.

Good luck :)

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco