cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

upgrade fantray cat6506 with sup720 (urgent)

pbogaerts
Level 1
Level 1

For the upgrade of a catalyst 6506 i received a fantray with the name C6506-E-FAN can i use it in my cat6506 ?

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi

I haven't got a 6500 with this setup but Cisco made sure that when they replaced the original chassis with the E-chassis you could still order the high speed fan trays for the 6500 chassis (FAN2). This suggests that an E-FAN is not compatible with the original chassis otherwise i'm not sure why they would continue to make them available.

See attached sheet for more details

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps708/prod_eol_notice0900aecd8035ece4.html

Satish - do you have a 6500 with this setup ?

Jon

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

smothuku
Level 7
Level 7

In this link it is not clear for me that you can use it, i must be 100% sure that i can put it in een WS-C6506.

Thanks,

Peter

In this link it is not clear for me that you can use it, i must be 100% sure that i can put it in een WS-C6506.

Thanks,

Peter

Hi

I haven't got a 6500 with this setup but Cisco made sure that when they replaced the original chassis with the E-chassis you could still order the high speed fan trays for the 6500 chassis (FAN2). This suggests that an E-FAN is not compatible with the original chassis otherwise i'm not sure why they would continue to make them available.

See attached sheet for more details

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps708/prod_eol_notice0900aecd8035ece4.html

Satish - do you have a 6500 with this setup ?

Jon

Hi!

I acctually have the excact same problem (6506 non E-chassi and an E-series fan tray) did you ever get any clarity regarding this?

Or does anyone else know?

Charlie

The "WS-C6K-6SLOT-FAN2" is the fantray for the catalyst 6506, you can not put a fan tray of the 6506E in the chassis of a 6506, the connection with the backplane is different (connector is not in the same place), also the kind of fan that is used is different in a 6506E 48V fan in the 6506 12V fan. The code for the fan tray of the 6506E is "WS-C6506-E-FAN" fan tray. Hope this help you.

Peter

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card