cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cat 3524 switch better at streaming than 4503, why?

hoffa2000
Level 3
Level 3

Hi all

We have a phone recording equipment with some 20 PC clients streaming conversation recordings to a server. Everything is running TCP/IP and ethernet, nothing special there and I had all clients and the server connected to the same WS-X4548-GB-RJ45V line card in our L2 only 4503 Sup II+TS.

As the number of recordings increased I started to get reports of stuttering and unhearable recordings on the server. What I did was I removed all cabling from the clients and the server and stuck them in a separate 3524 10/100 switch and there has been no problem since.

As far as I remember the 3524 had been on the shelf for about 2 years and has a default setup. I have a rough understanding of the 4503 architecture and the multiplexing but I had no idea there was these sort of limitations. The amount of data sent isn't that large either, roughly 6mbit/sec is flowing into the server at any time.

Anyone has an idea why a €500 switch is better at streaming than a €10.000 switch? I know this is a loose question but I need somewhere to start.

Regards

Fredrik

2 Replies 2

wdrootz
Level 4
Level 4

Hey, you are affected by the bug - CSCdz57255

Interesting, but I run IOS 12.2(31)SG1 and that's not listed as affected by the bug.

/Fredrik

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card