cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

C3560G switch

SpeedCisco
Level 1
Level 1

i have a question regarding the show arp command. I am new at the company,we have this test enviroment for practice, and i just realized that on this 3560 switch there are several ports used, when i perform the show arp command i only see three mac address and their respective ip. by the way , the switch is configured with the default configuration and there is just one vlan configured. so any suggestions on the show arp command?

2 Replies 2

SpeedCisco
Level 1
Level 1

sorry, the question is,since I see that on the switch there are at least 10 ports used, why do i not see the rest of the mac addresses?

The ARP cache will contain entries only for those hosts that are communicating directly with the switch itself at IP level. That is, hosts that are talking to switch management, or that are using the (layer-3) switch as a router.

If your switch is operating at layer-2, then packets from the hosts will pass straight through without affecting any ARP cache entries. You can see these, rather, with show mac-address-table. THis shows the layer-2 forwarding table.

Kevin Dorrell

Luxembourg

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: