CCIE SP

Unanswered Question
Dec 12th, 2007
User Badges:

Hello,

I recently passed my R&S lab and wanted to tackle the SP. I bought alot of books from the recommened list but couldnt find any test simulators for the written exam. I usually use Boson but they dont have any SP products. Do any of your other Learning Partners have SP written materials? If not what do you recommend?

Thank You

Brent

Overall Rating: 5 (6 ratings)
brentroyster Wed, 12/12/2007 - 12:35
User Badges:

Can you recommend any test simulators? Cisco has many learning partners listed but a couldnt find any with SP info. When I serach on the internet I get alot of websites that look bogus.

Brent

swmorris Wed, 12/12/2007 - 12:47
User Badges:
  • Bronze, 100 points or more

You'll find a number of learning partners offering different CCIP-related courses, which are related to the topics on CCIE SP.

Nobody offers a direct bootcamp for the CCIE SP written exam, mostly due to lack of profitable market! Not as many people are interested in the SP CCIE!

However, when it comes to hands-on, there are multiple vendors offering practice labs and bootcamp to cover the technologies and help you focus on the last step before your lab!

As Brad mentioned, CCBootcamp has one. As does IPexpert (who I work for).

Service Provider topic listings make for some interesting technologies to work with, and while they can be in high demand, the market seems to draw those folks away from pursuing certifications (likely make them work too much already! (grin)).

HTH,

Scott

[email protected]

dangal.43 Wed, 12/12/2007 - 23:42
User Badges:

one more question about CCIE SP LAB: what is main goal of CCIE LAB? is that all about to test Overl all SP technologies or more focused on MPLS, Multicast and QOS?

what level of OSPF, IS-IS and BGP do we need to consider as far are configuration in LAB? do we have more configuration work for MPLS/MULTICAST/QOS or OSPF/IS-IS/BGP?

swmorris Thu, 12/13/2007 - 04:16
User Badges:

That's the tricky question about any CCIE track. How much of 'x' is there in the lab? Well... Contents may vary based on which exam you have!

You may have an exam with only OSPF in the core of the SP, and significant MPLS but only a touch on MBGP.

You may have an exam with both OSPF and ISIS in the core, but basic MPLS setup. On the other hand, there's a LOT of work with MBGP and Inter-AS operations.

The bottom line is that you never know. When it says to be prepared for the topic, you should know the technologies on the blueprint in depth (this is an expert-level exam, right?)

How many points per section will vary on the lab, and there are no required guidelines for the proctors developing labs.

Don't forget about Layer2 stuff unique to this track like ATM and PPPoE!

Scott

[email protected]

dangal.43 Thu, 12/13/2007 - 13:37
User Badges:

Scott,

thanks a lot for your information.

so what is the level of OSPF and IS-IS is there? i mean its more with compare to MPLS and MPBGP or its less? as well as what level of ATM knowledge do we need for Layer 2 connectivity?

swmorris Thu, 12/13/2007 - 13:49
User Badges:

Again, there's no good answer there. I could tell you one thing and you go take the lab and it's completely different!

It is up to whoever creates the lab you are working on.

If you are prepared for the technologies all around, it shouldn't make a difference how much of little of anything you have!

Check out the blueprint, it will give you examples on ATM like PVC, SVC, PPPoA, etc.

Anything is fair game. :)

HTH,

Scott

[email protected]

dangal.43 Thu, 12/13/2007 - 14:11
User Badges:

Only issue with various Practical topology i found lots of corner question or configuration so mostly you are focusing on major technology and suddenly found corner question or feature set configuration then it is creating lots of fustration and confusion. so how to prepere for those corner questions, which is very basic?

swmorris Thu, 12/13/2007 - 14:22
User Badges:

I'm not entirely sure I understand the question there...

I think you're saying that you've labbed up a number of different topologies, but find many examples with strange "corner cases" being used?

Well, in short order that kinda the point of the lab. The lab exam will not be testing you on 'normal' things all the time. It will not be testing you on optimal routing or best practices. You will be asked to do different tasks with all sorts of protocols in order to determine your level of expertise.

You should be able to understand and manipulate any of the protocols on the blueprint. Simple setting up MPLS or peering BGP doesn't make you an expert! But being able to understand what is going on at each step a packet takes, and what decisions need to be made in order to achieve a particular solution.... THAT signifies an expert in Cisco's mind.

That's why you shouldn't ever find a CCIE-lab type network occurring in real life! :)

Scott

[email protected]

dangal.43 Thu, 12/13/2007 - 14:32
User Badges:

Scott,

you are also writing workbook for CCIE SP exam practice similary other vendors like CCBOOTCAMP, IEMENTOR and INTERNETWORK EXPERT so are those books are enough to make you understanding like what ever you said in previous post? I am planning to buy any one of them so according to you which any one will be good or i have to buy other too?

swmorris Thu, 12/13/2007 - 14:46
User Badges:

heheheh... Well, I work for IPexpert, and we have SP materials that are freshly updated. You mention other vendors that have products as well.

Personally, even though all of the blueprint topics can be found in any of the vendors' workbooks, if you can afford it, I would purchase more than one book just for some different styles of doing things.

While obviously my recommendation will be for IPexpert, I have not used any of the other ones. But I have heard some good things (other than our own) about InternetworkExpert's materials.

Any of the vendors should be aiming higher than what the real lab is. This keeps us out of trouble for any accidental/perceived NDA violations. And for your preparation, it's always better to be over-prepared than under-prepared!

HTH,

Scott

[email protected]

dangal.43 Thu, 12/13/2007 - 17:01
User Badges:

Scott,

I heared your name many times from various Network engineer and really do have a respect for you. I am planing to buy work book but not now it will take some time. but your answer in privious post is little bit confusing for me and my answer is not clear about will workbook cover all the CCIE SP LAB topics?

Actions

This Discussion