cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

High CPU utilization

dmamattah
Level 1
Level 1

i am running ios s72033_rp-ADVENTERPRISEK9_WAN-VM version 12.2(33)SXH on 6500 with sup720 engine I noticed that every 1min the system hangs up and the cpu process hit 100%. any ideas

9 Replies 9

rpaquin
Level 1
Level 1

how many vlan's do you have?

what modules?

I currently have the same issue, I'm using a 48 port sfp module to trunk locations and when I put in my full vlan complement, the switch just chokes and dies.

which is only 150 vlans.. anything over 75 or so seems to be the number it doesn't like.

bvsnarayana03
Level 5
Level 5

There can be a number of reasons for the cpu hanging issue. Some more details may be required to help you out. Is this behaviour observed after any specific changes. Does the log msg show anything ot are you getting traps on syslog server. pls revert with more information.

rpaquin
Level 1
Level 1

if your running any 10/100/1000 blades, and any of them are trunks, make sure the trunks only do allowed vlan's for what is necessary.

my issue was I had 48 port sfp that was mostly trunks, I had complaints in ios about more than 1800 vlan instances on that blade, but really it was another blade in the chassis that only had 6 trunk interfaces causing the issue.

Very strange as I don't have anywhere near the 1800 vlan instances which is where the problems are supposed to occur.

hupetersen
Level 1
Level 1

i have the same problem.

to pull out the linecards has no effect. never mind witch kind of modul. so i have to restart it.

i found the kernel process is the problem.

the utilization grow slowly over two month to more than 30%(5Min).

so there is not enough time to answer hsrp and the network die.

router#sh ver

Cisco IOS Software, s72033_rp Software (s72033_rp-IPSERVICESK9-VM), Version 12.2(33)SXH, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc5)

Technical Support: http://www.cisco.com/techsupport

Copyright (c) 1986-2007 by Cisco Systems, Inc.

Compiled Sun 19-Aug-07 15:36 by prod_rel_team

ROM: System Bootstrap, Version 12.2(17r)S4, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)

router uptime is 4 weeks, 6 days, 3 hours, 38 minutes

Uptime for this control processor is 4 weeks, 6 days, 3 hours, 37 minutes

Time since router switched to active is 4 weeks, 6 days, 3 hours, 37 minutes

System returned to ROM by power cycle at 19:26:47 met Tue Nov 13 2007 (SP by power on)

System restarted at 12:23:03 met Wed Mar 5 2008

System image file is "disk0:s72033-ipservicesk9-vz.122-33.SXH.bin"

cisco WS-C6506 (R7000) processor (revision 3.0) with 516096K/8192K bytes of memory.

SR71000 CPU at 600Mhz, Implementation 1284, Rev 1.2, 512KB L2 Cache

Last reset from s/w reset

56 Virtual Ethernet interfaces

98 Gigabit Ethernet interfaces

4 Ten Gigabit Ethernet interfaces

1917K bytes of non-volatile configuration memory.

65536K bytes of Flash internal SIMM (Sector size 512K).

Configuration register is 0x2002

kchauhan
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Dmamattah,

Can u show me output of

"show processes"

of that router when CPU goes high.

Most of the time the reson wat unwanted vty sessions and not using of IP CEF function of router.

Sorry i switched back to the standard IOS and the problem stopped. i am no longer running the modular code

Hi dmamattah,

I have the same problem, that you posted.

I have a question to you: Do you started the modular software by the command 'install file'?

I had never done it. So the software is not installed accurate. Maybe that's the reason.

Hi all,

The problem related to high CPU utilization is a common problem.

There can be many reasons for this problems. For example it could be cause of process or interrupts. To give final conlusion for your problems please do post your "sh process cpu" output.

HTH.

Cheers,

Nikhil E.

Hi,

just I switchet to the next non modular version. But here ist the latest output from s72033-ipservicesk9-vz.122-33.SXH.bin

(attechment)

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: