cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Adding SSH to routers

whiteford
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, I have added SSH version 2 a Cisco 1841 router and it works. However, what domain name should I use? Is it important? I don't want to add the companies Windows Active Directory Domain name or website name, can it be anything?

I added:

ip Domain Name domain.com

ip ssh version 2

line vty 0 4

transport telnet ssh

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

royalblues
Level 10
Level 10

It can be anything.

It is just required before generating the RSA key for SSH

HTH

Narayan

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

royalblues
Level 10
Level 10

It can be anything.

It is just required before generating the RSA key for SSH

HTH

Narayan

I get the message

"Please create RSA keys to enable SSH."

Hi,

You have to generate an RSA key pair for your router, which automatically enables SSH: "crypto key generate rsa".

HTH,

Mohammed Mahmoud.

Do I need to remove "ip ssh rsa keypair-name corpdomain.com

"

Hi,

The ip ssh rsa keypair-name command was introduced in Cisco IOS Release 12.3(4)T so that you can enable a SSH connection using RSA keys that you have configured. Previously, SSH was linked to the first RSA keys that were generated (that is, SSH was enabled when the first RSA key pair was generated). The behavior still exists, but by using the ip ssh rsa keypair-name command, you can overcome that behavior. If you configure the ip ssh rsa keypair-name command with a key-pair name, SSH is enabled if the key pair exists, or SSH will be enabled if the key pair is generated later. If you use this command to enable SSH, you are not forced to configure a host name and a domain name, which was required in SSH Version 1 of the Cisco IOS software.

HTH,

Mohammed Mahmoud.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card