Views
Helpful
Replies

Extending PVLAN from Cisco to Nortel switch

limtohsoon
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Sir,

I have configured Private VLAN on a Catalyst 6513 running Cisco IOS software.

VLAN 20 is a primary VLAN and its associated secondary VLAN is VLAN 21 (isolated VLAN).

A Nortel blade switch is connected to the Cat6513. How do I extend the PVLAN to the Nortel switch?

If it were a Cisco switch, I will configure identical PVLAN configurations on the second switch. Then run an ordinary 802.1Q trunk between them.

For Nortel switch, I have no idea.

Please advise.

Thank you.

B.Rgds,

Lim TS

1 Reply 1

hadbou
Level 5
Level 5

Cisco is aware of VLAN spoofing attacks and recommends that customers apply best practices where possible to reduce the impact of such attacks on their networks. Many best practices are discussed in Cisco's SAFE Blueprint for Layer 2 security:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/netsol/ns340/ns394/ns171/ns128/networking_solutions_white_paper09186a008014870f.shtml

As mentioned in the Arhont advisory, this is a protocol issue with 802.1q VLANS, and not a vendor-specific issue. However, there are techniques available on Cisco devices that may allow you to reduce your exposure to the mentioned attacks.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card