cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

License on Cisco IDS 4215 Box

inayathulla1
Level 1
Level 1

I have IDS 4215(version 4) running fine for 2 years. suddenly i could not access the IDS4215 via console or telnet last month . I rebooted it but there is no change.

Then We get the ROMMON prompt via CTRL-R. We executed the procedures in "Installing the IDS-4215 system image" . We have installed version 5. So we lost the old license for IDS 4215 ver 4. How can we obtain old license ?

We want to make the IDS 4215 run with version 5 and latest signatures. What do we need about it ?

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

There was not a license file in ver 4.

Licensing was introduced in ver 5.

Licenses are included as part of your Cisco Service for IPS maintenance contract.

To see if you have an up to date contract just go into IDM's License configuration page and click the button to tell IDM to check cisco.com for a license.

If it comes back with a license then your contract is up to date and everything is good.

If it does not come back with a license, then likely you do not have a Cisco Service for IPS service contract for your sensor.

Contract your Cisco Sales Reprentative or Authorized Cisco Reseller and request a quote for Cisco Service for IPS contract for your sensor.

Be sure to provide them the serial number of your sensor when you purchase the contract so it will be properly tracked in Cisco's contract database.

View solution in original post

Yes you can roll back to version 4.x, but I don't think you will want to.

There are no new signature updates being created for version 4.x.

So you won't be protected against any of the recent attacks being seen in the Internet.

Understand that the license file is only checked during signature update installation.

The sensor will function properly without a license. It is just that you can not install new signature updates without a license.

So even a version 5 or even 6 sensor will function properly without a license. It is just that you can not install signature updates without the license.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

marcabal
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

You need an up to date Cisco Service for IPS service contract for the sensor.

Ensure that your sensor serial number is properly linked to the contract.

Then just bring up IDM and go to IDM's License confguration page.

There is button to tell IDM to go and get the license directly from cisco.com.

If the contract is entered properly and up o date then IDM should be able to pull a license for your sensor and install it.

Then you can download and install the latest signature update.

If you don't know if you have a contract go ahead and try the IDM License screen for pulling a license from cisco.com.

If IDM is unable to pull a license, then contact your Cisco Sales Representative to either purchase a Cisco Service for IPS contract or ensure your contract is correct if you have already purchased one.

In the meantime you might also try going to Cisco.com's license site, and find the link to request a short term trial license while you are getting you Cisco Service for IPS contract setup.

https://tools.cisco.com/SWIFT/Licensing/PrivateRegistrationServlet?FormId=140

Hi Marcoa,

Thanks for the reply.

Currently its running on a 60 days trail ver and it is running fine.

Kindly let me know how do i check/can get the license which i had on ver 4 ?

And to get the latest signature on ver 5 do i need to buy any additional kit? if yes please let me know how to purshase the kit?

Thanks in advance.

There was not a license file in ver 4.

Licensing was introduced in ver 5.

Licenses are included as part of your Cisco Service for IPS maintenance contract.

To see if you have an up to date contract just go into IDM's License configuration page and click the button to tell IDM to check cisco.com for a license.

If it comes back with a license then your contract is up to date and everything is good.

If it does not come back with a license, then likely you do not have a Cisco Service for IPS service contract for your sensor.

Contract your Cisco Sales Reprentative or Authorized Cisco Reseller and request a quote for Cisco Service for IPS contract for your sensor.

Be sure to provide them the serial number of your sensor when you purchase the contract so it will be properly tracked in Cisco's contract database.

Thanks a lot.Heartly Appriciate for your faster response.

Hi Marcio,

Last Question is: Can i rolled back the IDS box to the 4.x version if i dont want to buy the license??? Will that work fine without any license ????? Please answer this. Thanks in advance.

Yes you can roll back to version 4.x, but I don't think you will want to.

There are no new signature updates being created for version 4.x.

So you won't be protected against any of the recent attacks being seen in the Internet.

Understand that the license file is only checked during signature update installation.

The sensor will function properly without a license. It is just that you can not install new signature updates without a license.

So even a version 5 or even 6 sensor will function properly without a license. It is just that you can not install signature updates without the license.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card