cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Power loss - Holdup time on 2960

danieldahlberg
Level 1
Level 1

Does anyone have information on how many ms a Catalyst 2960 can stay running without power before rebooting? (Seems that the power supplies for 4500 etc can manage 20 ms.) I have a potential loss of power for 3-5 ms, and would like to manage without an extra UPS for this.

I am not really sure which forum this question should be addressed to...

6 Replies 6

irisrios
Level 6
Level 6

I'm not sure about the holdup time . But it is for sure that 3-5 ms doesn't matter. If the hold time had been less 3-5 ms you won't be able to see the LEDs as soon as power cable is unplugged. Whereas in releaity when you plug the power you can actually see LEDs going down .

I am aware that this is what it is like in practical life, but I need it written in some Cisco datasheet etc.

andrew.burns
Level 7
Level 7

Hi,

Sometimes the info is added to the data sheet and sometimes not. It looks like for the 2960 it's not published - however if you ask Cisco they're normally pretty good at providing this kind of info.

The RPS 2300 power supplies (which are compatible with the 2960) have a holdup of 20ms (except the DC ones which only get you 2ms) so I'd expect a similar number from the actual power supplies.

HTH

Andrew.

Yes, I expect something like that, but the problem is to get the info from Cisco. Do you have any suggestion on who/how to contact?

Hi,

I'd ask my account manager to get me the info in the first place, although if I needed the info quickly I might also raise a TAC case.

HTH

Andrew.

Well, the answer I received was that they thought it was around 4 ms, but could not confirm it.

For the 4507 power supplies, however, Cisco states 20 ms holdup time.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: