cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Will be adding 3750G's to a stack, need advice.

mx
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all, happy holidays.

I have a customer with a working 3750G and we need to add 6 more to his stack. the one he has is already in production and it really cant come down (of course). When I add the new 3750's to the stack via stackwise cables, I need to make sure that the new switches are overwritten with new info and the existing one keeps its config, not vice versa!

Heres what I have done so far

1) backed up the config of the working one :)

2) updated the existing one to latest stable release of ios (it is under maintenance)

3) Upgraded all the new switches to the EXACT same rev

I just want to make sure that before I plug in the stackwise cables to the old switch, nothing will die!

Do I need to put the new switchs in vtp client or transparent mode?

Thanks in advance!

bob

3 Replies 3

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Bob

There is no relationship between vtp client or transparent mode and what happens when you stack the 3750s. So do not worry about vtp.

If you power down the new switches, connect the stackwise cables and then power up the switches the new switches should join the stack as members and leave the original switch as the master. It should work without your having to do anything else.

You could, if you want to, configure the original switch and assign it a high priority. This would assure that not only does it remain the stack master when you add other switches but that it would be elected master when there is any new election.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Thank you Rich, very helpful!

Do you recommend turning on all the new switches at once, or one at a time? (once they are cabled in.)

Bob

I believe that it could work either way. If it were me I would power up 1 at a time. This way it is easier to keep track of what is going on and if there were to be any problem would probably be easier to deal with the problem.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card