ADSL Recommendation

Unanswered Question
Dec 14th, 2007

Hi all,

I have a customer that wants 120 ADSL lines in one location and instead of having 120 877s on the end is there any solution that you know of (preferably Cisco) that I could use to reduce the hardware (e.g. is there a Cisco router that has ADSL blades)?

Many thanks,

Chris

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
andrew.burns Fri, 12/14/2007 - 04:56

Hi,

There are no ADSL blades as such, as least since Cisco stopped selling their own DSLAM's. You really have to ask why anyone would want 120 lines in the first place - what's the solution for?

Andrew.

LordFlasheart Fri, 12/14/2007 - 05:11

It's a national tactical ADSL solution and we don't provide the DSL circuits, rather the backhaul to the customer. So instead of us bunging on 120 individual routers - each requiring it's own port on a switch - we were looking at one big solution which can provide just one link to our main switch and then connect into the DSLs as needs be thereby saving costs. I have found OCCAM on Google which have 48 DSL blades so may look at what they can do for me.

Cheers.

Cheers,

Chris

andrew.burns Fri, 12/14/2007 - 05:45

Hi,

As you've found, sometimes Cisco isn't the right way to go ;-)

I've never heard of OCCAM, but I know that Alcatel/Lucent also do this stuff, and I think Zyxel might also be worth a look.

HTH

Andrew.

LordFlasheart Fri, 12/14/2007 - 06:27

Thanks, I'll have a look. I wish it were easier, but the ADSL service stops in our building (i.e. it has an NTE there) and we need to backhaul the Ethernet side of the NTE to the customer site. In effect, the customer sits at their site and surfs but the ADSL router/NTE is located at our site so I was hoping that there was a solution out there that can hold up to 120 DSL NTE's (e.g. a chassis holding 120 x blade versions of the 877). Otherwise we have to provide racks for 120 seperate ADSL routers in addition to our other equipment!

Regards,

Chris

Actions

This Discussion