Views
Helpful
Replies

MPLS design question

san-pandey
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

what is the best solution to extend a node (PE router) over a third party IP network.

Here is the scenario - there is a need to extend an MPLS network to a new location, but due to commercial/policy reason the only available options are a third part IP Network (non-MPLS) and a back haul wireless link. We are thinking of making the IP Network the primary link and the wireless back haul the back up links.

Is L2TPv3 the only solution? I want to make use of the wireless back haul also for some traffic.

Regards,

san

9 Replies 9

gauravprakash
Level 1
Level 1

Since the transit provider is just IP network, I guess you can also use GRE tunnel to have MP-EBGP peering with far end PE router.

regards,

GP

is there a link on using GRE to connect two PEs over a third provider L3 network.

san

Swaroop, Martin,

Need help to verify if GRE or L2TPv3 can be used to connect 2 PE routers through a third ISP IP network. I have read few documents, but I cannot verify if LDP can be exchanged between 2 PE over a third party IP network using GRE.

regards,

San

Hi

I feel that pseudowire is a scalable solution. You assign a VLAN to a customer which is then carried forward to the PoI as the trunk port. If you have IP reachability from both the media then you can make use of both of them

regards

Aasheesh Gupta

Hi Aasheesh,

We have plans to give PW to customers on our MPLS network. However, we need to connect our PEs over a third provider IP connectivity, before we can give a PW solution to our cusotmers. So I need someone to verify that GRE is possible to connect two PEs. I cannot find any document on cisco website that verifies that.

regards,

san

Hi San

You dont need IP connectivity to the third service provider's PE in case that provider is able to drop VLAN tag on to your PE. What this means is that you can extend both L2 and L3 services from a PoI.

GRE can also work . For this you need to place ( lets say a GRE router) and can connect the customer with GRE over MPLS into your network.Plz note here also pseudowire will work.

regards

Aasheesh Gupta

Hi Aasheesh,

The service provider will only give me a L3 connectivity. In this case the LDP session will not establish with my PE on both ends.

I tries GRE on my PE with LDP enabled and it seems to take the command, but i have to try this between two PE. so I am not sure if I can bring the tunnel up and allow the two PEs to exchange LDP. I was just hoping that i could find a doc on it so that I can be sure that it will work. If you know if any doc that would be great.

reagrds,

san

cheky
Level 1
Level 1

Hi San,

It works. The attached file is configuration.

Hi Kaiyin,

thanks for the verification. that is what I was looking for.

regards,

san

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: