CCNP Advice

Unanswered Question
Dec 14th, 2007

having passed CCNA, im wantinf to start studying for CCNP, I have all the materials, but im sure how to start? out of the 4 modules,which one do i start studying for first?

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 5 (1 ratings)
LordFlasheart Fri, 12/14/2007 - 05:05

Hi, first of all congrats on passing your CCNA.

CCNP is a funny cookie, but in general most people leave ONT and ICSW as the last two and take either BSCI or BCMSN first depending on whether you prefer routing or switching. I personally went for BSCI first and am now on BCMSN but one man's meat is another man's poison so they say.

HTH,

Chris

solpandor Fri, 12/14/2007 - 05:53

Chris

thanks for your advice. Eventually i want to go into security and do my CCSP, but for now i prefer routing. I presume BSCI is more to do with routing & BCMSN with switching? i will start with BSCI if this is the case.

Sol

suthasara5 Fri, 12/14/2007 - 06:41

dude ,

wher you got ur material, are u planning to study on your own, i'm also planning to do self study, any advice for me .

solpandor Fri, 12/14/2007 - 06:45

hi

I got my materials from a friend. Im planning to self study and recently bought a home lab so hopefully that will help.

planning tobuy a 2950 switch and another 2600 router in Feb

Sol

stephen.stack Sun, 12/16/2007 - 11:24

Hi,

Well done on CCNA, this is not an easy exam.

I started with the BSCI and then BCMSN, I have just finished ISCW and am now taking ONT. It seems most people do it this way.

However i have also done a lot of Microsoft exams (MCSE, MCSA etc...) I think the best thing you could do is take the topics that interested you most from the CCNA and start there. That way you are not studying stuff you don't like and hence become disinterested right away. i.e. if you like EIGRP or routing in general start with BSCI - or if you liked Trunking start with BCMSN.

Look at all the exams in the CCNP and decide which you might like to start on.

Best of luck.

HTH - please rate if it does.

Regards

Stephen

garhett Mon, 12/17/2007 - 12:30

Take the composite. I dont know if I got lucky but that was the easiest test I have taken so far.

Danilo Dy Wed, 12/19/2007 - 05:16

Hi,

Take the exam that you think its easier for you to pass. The more exam you passed you build a high morale to tackle the difficult one. If you take the difficult and fail, fail, fail, its the opposite.

Regards,

Dandy

solpandor Thu, 12/20/2007 - 01:51

Thanks for all your replies people...its just a case of now getting started with it. Im gonna start with BSCI first...at present I have 2 2501 routers with 12.3 and 1 2924 switch with Enterprise OS. Is this enough to get me started with CCNP? or do i need to add another router and switch .

ccbootcamp Thu, 12/20/2007 - 05:06

Here's what I like to recommend for a CCNP home lab at a minimum:

Two Cisco 2501 routers, 16MB Dram/16MB Flash

One Cisco 2511 router, 16MB Dram/16MB Flash

One Cisco 2522 router, 16MB Dram/16MB Flash

Rack ears for all routers and switch

All routers with 12.x Enterprise Plus IOS

Catalyst 29xx switch with enterprise software

Power Cables for all Devices

One octal cable

Four DTE/DCE DB60 serial cross-over cables

Three Ethernet transceivers

Console cable kit

That will cover all the cables you need, a terminal server (2511) and a frame-switch (2522) all which will help you grow into a CCIE lab. :)

-brad

www.ccbootcamp.com

(please rate the post if this helps!)

Actions

This Discussion