Helpful
Replies

Cisco IP Communicator

fargier
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

Some questions about Cisco IP Communicator Software:

- What do you think about this Software?

- Does it support 802.1q? I think that I need a NIC card working with 802.1q. Is it correct?

Thats a lot.

27 Replies 27

Brandon Buffin
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

IP Communicator is very nice. Depending on your situation, it can be very beneficial - mobile employees, etc. IP Communicator does not support 802.1q natively.

Hope this helps. If so, please rate the post.

Brandon

Hi Brandon,

When you said "Natively" there is some add-one? or all Voice trafic will be in Data Trafic.

Currently I have 2 Vlans, one data and one voice and using Auto-Qos.

What happen with this Software? All trafic in my Data Vlan?

I read that DSCP is supporting but no information about Vlans..

Thanks a lot again for your answer

There is no add on. All voice traffic from IPC will be in the data VLAN. Take a look at the following section of the QoS SRND linked below.

Campus QoS Design -> Catalyst 2970/3560/3750 - Untrusted PC + Softphone with Scavenger-Class QoS Model

QoS SRND

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/solution/esm/qossrnd.pdf

As also mentioned in this document, you can use the "auto qos voip cisco-softphone" command to generate a baseline QoS config that will take the softphone into account.

Hope this helps. If so, please rate the post.

Brandon

Great Brandon. Thank a lot

Hi Brandon,

Is it already the same behaviour for Cisco IP Communicator with CUCM 7.1 ?

Because I would like to separate the voice and data trafic. Is it possible ?

When I tested 2 VLANs on my computer (Voice Vlan Tagged, Data Vlan native), the IP Communicator registered on CUCM with IP Address of Voice VLAN, but when I do a traces on my PC, I see communication between IP Address of Data VLAN and IP Address of CUCM.

So what is the solution ?

For information, the switch is not a catalyst, but a Nortel swith.

Regards,

Davy

It could be that signaling is using the voice VLAN and RTP (audio) traffic is using the data VLAN. Check the setting in IPC under Preferences > Audio > Network > Audio IP Address.

Hope this helps.

Brandon

No the signaling message (SCCP) is using the voice VLAN.

I didn't test audio message (RTP).

But you said before in the post (3. 14 déc. 2007 08:11 En réponse à: fargier ) that all voice traffic from IPC will be in the data VLAN.

So maybe is it normal ?

Davy

Sorry No the signaling message (SCCP) is using the Data VLAN !

Signaling is using the data VLAN, but the IPC is registered with CUCM with the voice VLAN IP address? Seems strange.

Yes exactly.

Since I have 2 Vlans on my computer, when I do a "route print" on windows, I have 2 routes 0.0.0.0

One for Voice VLAN and one for Data VLAN

I changed metric for Data VLAN in order to have Data VLAN as the default Gateway for my computer.

Even if I add a specific route to the CUCM network, I have a communication between Data Vlan and CUCM.

What is the best implementation of IPC in order to separate Voice and Data trafic ? Is it possible ?

Did you already realize this kind of configuration with IPC ?

Thanks.

Davy

Did you check the setting I mentioned above?

Yes it is good, I have mentionned the right nic associated to voice vlan

What happens if you shut down the NIC in the data VLAN? Does IPC register/function properly on the voice VLAN?

If shut down the NIC in the data VLAN, then the registering on CUCM is the same, but in this case IPC function properly on the Voice Vlan.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: