Views
Helpful
Replies

IOS Modularity

lamav
Level 8
Level 8

Folks:

Does anyone on this board have experience working with the "IOS modularity" infrastructure?

I understand what it is, but what I dont get is how one goes about obtaiing a modular version of IOS and installing it.

Are there new IOS versions that are modular? If so, in what version of IOS was modularity first introduced? Whoch are the modular versions of IOS and how do you know which they are?

Or do you keep the current version of IOS you are using and download some code from Cisco to make it modular (this seems wrong, since modularity reflects a total revamping of the code's logical infrastructure).

This is where I am confused.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

> So, I have been deploying 12.2(18)SXF7 since early this year. Is that a modular version?

Victor,

There are 2 types of 12.2(18)SXF7, the modular version and the non-modular version. You can tell which version you are running by typing show version on the switch.

> If so, how does maintenance of that code differe from other codes?

You can download patches that addresses a specific bug without upgrading the whole IOS.

> Does Cisco send out periodic patches for this code?

Yes.

> Do you have to request them?

Depends on the patch.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Edison Ortiz
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

> Are there new IOS versions that are modular?

Yes, if you go to CCO and try to download a 6500 IOS, you will see something like this:

IP SERVICES SSH LAN ONLY

IP SERVICES SSH LAN ONLY (MODULAR)

> If so, in what version of IOS was modularity first introduced?

Cisco Catalyst 6500 Series Supervisor Engine 720 Release 12.2(18)SXF4 and higher.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps708/products_promotion0900aecd80312844.html

Hey, Edison: Thanks, man.

So, I have been deploying 12.2(18)SXF7 since early this year. Is that a modular version? If so, how does maintenance of that code differe from other codes? Does Cisco send out periodic patches for this code? Do you have to request them?

Thanks

> So, I have been deploying 12.2(18)SXF7 since early this year. Is that a modular version?

Victor,

There are 2 types of 12.2(18)SXF7, the modular version and the non-modular version. You can tell which version you are running by typing show version on the switch.

> If so, how does maintenance of that code differe from other codes?

You can download patches that addresses a specific bug without upgrading the whole IOS.

> Does Cisco send out periodic patches for this code?

Yes.

> Do you have to request them?

Depends on the patch.

Edison, thank you once again. You are a gentleman and a scholar. :-)

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card