Views
Helpful
Replies

Designing an IP Schema

fahim
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

We have to design an IP schema from ground up, for two offices connected with each other over MPLS link managed by ISP.

The two offices would have centralised administration but would not be sharing any hardware components across.

The need is to define a schema that would contain:

Windows 2003 server ADs and members, Switches (VLANS) and routers, iLO server management ports, Workstations (LAN and WLAN), Wireless APs, VoIP, other peripherals (printers/scanners etc). If I am missing out on anything else, pls add!!

What is the best way to design an IP schema? Any tools available from Cisco? I know spreadsheet is outdated and I have looked at open source 'ipplan'.

Subnetting/supernetting??...any thoughts for most manageability across two offices while still not making it unduly complex.

2 Replies 2

dgahm
Level 8
Level 8

Products like InfoBlox http://member.dnsstuff.com/rc/images/taskzone/infoblox_pdfs/wp_ipam.pdf can help you manage IP address space, but you will still need to design the schema.

Here is a document to get you started:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk869/tk769/technologies_white_paper09186a008014f924.shtml#topic4

The right approach depends very much on your network and anticipated growth. You need to be able to summarize address space per site, and perhaps per region in a large network. Subnet size depends upon number of devices, but should include separate server subnets, and one data subnet per floor, at least if there are access switches on the floor. Separate subnets for VOIP are needed. Using an easily summarized Voice IP range can be very handy for QOS configuration.

Please rate helpful posts.

Dave

You're right Dave, both Infoblox and ipplan can help me manage my scopes but right now I need to design.

I was wondering if you can give me a small example of the design tips and core building blocks, that would be more helpful.

Rgds

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card