cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

PIX 501 DNS & IIS

homeboarder8
Level 1
Level 1

Okay I have a server that is running IIS and DNS behind a PIX. My question is what ports do I need to allow for everything to work right? Currently I have www and pptp traffic allowed to pass through.

Thanks!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Austin, I think you have it covered.. you IIS server is providing www services without issues, if this is correct there is not need to worry until different services need to be allowed or something does not work.

[edit] I would recommend on your IIS to provide SSL 443 , more secure !

Rgds

Jorge

Jorge Rodriguez

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

JORGE RODRIGUEZ
Level 10
Level 10

"what ports do I need to allow for everything to work right?"

Austin, could you be more specific as to the what do you mean by above question . You indicate www and pptp pass through, and that you have an IIS and DNS setup inside your LAN, what are you planning to accomplish e.g inbound ftp,www, services etc.. if you can provide more details Im sure we can help out.

Rgds

Jorge

Jorge Rodriguez

Yeah sure. Currently I have my server sitting behind my PIX. I use pptp to connect to my server remotely, that is why I am allowing pptp traffic through. I am trying to provide basic webhosting services on the server. FTP really is not needed at the moment, but in the future it will probably be nessesary. DNS is going to run on the server as well as IIS. So I guess my question is, besides allowing www (port 80) traffic in and out, is there anything else that I need to allow while still keeping my server secure?

Thanks for your help!

Austin, I think you have it covered.. you IIS server is providing www services without issues, if this is correct there is not need to worry until different services need to be allowed or something does not work.

[edit] I would recommend on your IIS to provide SSL 443 , more secure !

Rgds

Jorge

Jorge Rodriguez
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card