Views
Helpful
Replies

Redundancy issue

csc010854800
Level 1
Level 1

hi,

i have two layer 3 switches and 1 router with two ethernet interfaces.Can i configure redundancy for the router, so that if one switch goes down , other switch will take up the position.

Also , is etherchannel is beneficial between switch and router ????

3 Replies 3

Edison Ortiz
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You could but keep in mind that you can't configure 2 IP addresses belonging to the same subnet on those ethernet interfaces.

Also, routers do not support etherchanneling.

i am little sceptical about your statement , as interface Port-channel1 is used on routers and is for etherchanneling only.

Please correct me if i am wrong.

Etherchannel bundles 2 more ports, but you need tohave the ports connected to same device. With a router having 2 eth ports each connecting a separate switch, you cant configure channel. Secondly what is the use of configurung an etherchannel on router at one end thus pumping in data at high rate (gbps), while the output is only a few Mbps via serial or etherdrops.

One way of doing this is, take 2 subnets of /30. Assign it to 1 int each on eouter & the other Ip to each swith port to which router is connected. Then run a routing protocol among the 3 devices. This way you'll achieve load-balancing as well as redundancy.

hope that clarifies.

pls rate all helpful posts.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card