Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Upgrade from Solaris 8 to 9 without reinstall LMS 2.6

Hi folks!

Is it possible to upgrade the opertaive system from solaris 8 to solaris 9, without reinstall again LMS 2.6?

Thanks in advance!

Leonardo

6 Replies 6

akemp
Level 5
Level 5

Which version of Ciscoworks ddo you have installed ?

In theory its possible

http://www.sun.com/software/solaris/programs/sol9upgrade.xml

But I wouldn't bet on it as Ciscoworks has a good track record of changing the installation scripts between OS versions.

Changing major revisions of OS is the time to re-assess the layout and partitioning of your physical disk space. Whats worked in the past may not be optimal in the OS version.

I've installed LMS 2.6 on solaris 8

Good, but my post refered to the migration in place of 8 to 9. I would not recommend it.

akemp's points are very valid. While LMS 2.6 will work between Solaris 8 and 9 without an LMS reinstallation, a major OS upgrade does give you the opportunity to reconsider new Solaris technologies, file system layouts, etc.

ok.. I will reinstall all!

So, there is a formula to evaluate the file system size layout?

I mean... If I have 1000 devices, which is the correct size of theese file system:

/opt/CSCOpx

/var/adm/CSCOpx

/tftpboot

Thanks a lot!

Leonardo

Device count alone is not sufficient to size file systems. You need to take into account images that will be stored, number of config revisions, syslog message collected, job data retained, log size, etc.

Figure on a solution server, NOT including each of the things above, each device will cost about 2 MB. The more syslogs, configs, and change records you collect, the more you will need to increase /opt/CSCOpx. The more software images and job data you retain, the more you need to increase /var/adm/CSCOpx.

You can assume an average syslog message is 100 bytes, and the average image size is 20 MB. Job data depends on the number of devices per job, and the type of job.

As for tftpboot, this only needs to be large enough to hold the largest SWIM job.

If possible, use logical volumes which can easily be resized as needed. You absolutely do not want to run out of space under /opt/CSCOpx as that will corrupt databases.

Just as an example, I am managing 100 devices in my lab. I have a SunFire V210 running Solaris 9 running LMS 2.6. The machine shipped with two 72 GB drives. I dedicated one drive entirely to /opt and swap (64 GB for /opt and 3 GB for swap). My / is 2 GB, my /usr is 27 GB, and my /export/home is 27 GB. The rest I allocated to /var (11 GB) and swap.

/opt/CSCOpx takes 4.5 GB, /opt/CSCOcwbS takes 253 MB, CSCOipm is 108 MB, and CSCOipmClient is 44 MB. /var/adm/CSCOpx is currently taking 3.3 GB with 2.5 GB of that being logs (since it is a TAC lab).